General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got 22mm of rotor left

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 03:08 PM
Default Got 22mm of rotor left

My brakes are pulsating so i figure the rotors need to get refinished. With only 22 mm left should I just replace them or is there enough left to get the turned??

Old 03-17-2007, 05:32 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Got 22mm of rotor left

Minimum is 21mm if i remember right. Should be plenty left to refinish them.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:47 PM

With only 22mm left I was wondering if it would be just as economical to replace the rotors with new ones since thet are rather difficult to remove?

Old 03-20-2007, 12:06 AM

ORIGINAL: MALSR

With only 22mm left I was wondering if it would be just as economical to replace the rotors with new ones since thet are rather difficult to remove?
Guess you'll have to figure it out yourself. Which is cheaper: New rotors or machineing the one you have. I machine the rotors on the car with a quik-lathe.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:20 AM

I just found a place that has an on-car lathe for 75$...I'll try that and see if they last for a while

Old 03-20-2007, 03:54 PM

Better of getting new rotors in my opinion. Some good name brand ones.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:17 PM

No need to replace rotors if the ones on the car are still thick enough to be resurfaced,, and when done still be above specs,,
And absolutelly ,, make sure that when resurfacing rotors always use a shop that has the ON CAR LATHE

Old 03-25-2007, 03:56 AM

With 22mm left resurfacing them could bring them down to the 21mm limit. But even if it doesn't you'll be having to replace them sooner rather than later. I would say it would be best to simply get new rotors now and be done with it.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:05 PM

ORIGINAL: MALSR

My brakes are pulsating so i figure the rotors need to get refinished. With only 22 mm left should I just replace them or is there enough left to get the turned??
If you only have 22mm left and the min is 21mm, and you turn the rotors, you are getting closer to the min limit, or might even pass the limit if they are bad. I would DEFINATLY replace them, just due to the fact, even if you get them turned and they are still just above the min limit of 21mm, they are not gonna work nowhere near as good and efficient as new rotors, especially in a emergency stop.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:09 PM

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

No need to replace rotors if the ones on the car are still thick enough to be resurfaced,, and when done still be above specs,,
And absolutelly ,, make sure that when resurfacing rotors always use a shop that has the ON CAR LATHE
I am currently taking a MVR - Mechanical course, and I am curious, why always use a on car lathe? We have used a off car lathe, and that works great. I am not saying that you are wrong, I know it would be easier (especially due to how the accord rotors are pressed on), or is that the reason for a on car lathe.

Quick Reply: Got 22mm of rotor left