General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Guys it might be DEAD

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 05:08 AM
IAMCANADIAN
Unregistered
Default Guys it might be DEAD

Car: 1991 Accord ExR

Ok so I came home the other day and pulled in the driveway and my engine started steaming like a mother ****** and I waited for it to cool down opend the rad and went to top up the water you can hear it pouring out and its coming up right where there header goes into the exaust pipe
so im think its ethier a head gasket a head or cracked block not to sure havent checked it out yet but i am very up set ive had the car a month but theres no water in my oil I pulled the plugs and theres oil all over them no idea i havent really checked this baby out i just put it on the road

any ideas on what it could be the engine is revving up to about 3500rpm and back down when i start it NOT GOOD NOT GOOD at all

Old 02-27-2009, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

Air pockets in the cooling system can cause the surging idle. But as you know, you have to figure out the reason for the coolant to dissappear. Check out a bad radiator cap - that can cause the radiator so suck air (instead of coolant) back in when it cools down.

Oil on the top of the spark plugs (above the threads) is pretty easy - leaking seals - valve cover gasket job.

If the oil is below the threads (on the firing tip) that's different...

Old 02-27-2009, 10:47 AM

the air pockets in the coolant system(probably due your coolant pouring out the head gasket) will mess up the fitv(fast idle thermo valve) which normally only controls idle during warmup, but will cause surging idle at all temps if the internals of the valve come loose, or if it gets false temp readings. Once you solve your coolant leak and bleed out the cooling system the surging idle should go away.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

You need to locate then repair the coolant leak, then properly refill the coolant.

There is a metal hose that goes from the water pump to the thermostat housing. There are hoses that carry coolant to the thermostat, heater core, IAC, etc.

The Online Manuals thread in the DIY section has links to sites with a pdf of a 91 shop manual. The coolant section is around 5-66

Old 02-27-2009, 02:49 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Unregistered

ok so ill check all the coolent lines and bleed it but as for where i see its leaking. it's out of the exahust like where the header goes into the down pipe thats not going to **** up my head or something internal will it ??

Old 02-27-2009, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Clean up the coolant so you can locate the source. Remove the header heat shield. Refill the coolant. See if there is any obvious leak without the engine running. Try squeezing the radiator hoses.

Do not run the engine for too long. Only for short periods of time to try to find the leak. A compression test on the cylinders would help identify a head gasket or internal engine problem.

Is the oil you found on top of the spark plugs (above the threads) or on the electrode side?

Old 02-27-2009, 04:08 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Unregistered

Oil was only on the top side of the spark plugs not the electrode side

I will do a compression test and clean up the coolant so i can find the leak tomorrow when my shops empty

and where is this fitv( fast idle thermo valve) located ?

Old 02-27-2009, 08:25 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Unregistered

ok so i went to pressure test it today no well 0 pressure... I still have a big concern as to why the water would come out the where the header meets the down-pipe could it mean that the heads toast and that the fluid passage broke into the exhaust passage ? cause i dont understand why it would come out my exhaust pipe

Old 02-28-2009, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

I didn't realize that coolant was leaking into the exhaust manifold. I thought that coolant was leaking onto it.

If the coolant is leaking into the exhaust and there is zero compression on each cylinder, then the cylinder head or engine block possibly cracked, or the head gasket is completely gone.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:14 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Unregistered

yeah its leakking out of there but it still starts and runs and there is compression obv and theres no water in th oil