General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H22A Motor Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 11:18 PM
Default H22A Motor Swap

I've got a stock 91 Accord. It has 396,000 KM's on it. The engine and transmission are both getting up there. The engine seems to be fine, but the tranny is starting to grind and shift bad. I've got some money saved up and was considering a swap. Would this be a wise idea even though the car has high miles. It has very little rust, just a little on the fender and in the corner of windshield. Other then that the car is fairly clean for a 91. I've got around $6000 to spend. I love my accord and really want to hang on to it and ditch the f22, but if it would just be a money pit then I would sooner just give it up. Can I get your feedback? Thanks. Also is their anything to can spray on the underside of a car to keep it rust free?

Old 03-28-2008, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: H22A Motor Swap

you could easily do the swap for under 6k. could have a long block for around $750 + shipping. as for a tranny, you could get a prelude one and the gears would be shorter meaning better acceleration, but those are a little more expensive than f22 ones. both the h22 and f22 one will work in your car without modification though.

I say if you are planning on holding onto the car, and dont expect to get your money back from the swap then go for it.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:34 PM

I know there's been 3 million h22 threads, but I'm gonna ask this. Couldn't find it. Can my accord axles be used or do I need to buy the prelude ones? Also will I need a new rad, I see on a lot of the sites that sell engines they sell a h22 rad. But I thought you could use the stock accord rad with new hoses right?

This is the list of thing's I plan to get

H22A engine with 5 speed transmission
ECU
Intake Manifold
Distributor
Power Steering
Alternator
Fuel Rail
Exhaust Manifold
Throttle Body
Timing Belt
Balancer Shaft Belts
Autotensioner fix I've been told about
New gaskets
All the fluids
New Motor Mounts

Also when I go to put a new exhaust system on, will I buy a performance prelude exhaust or a performance accord exhaust system. Or will I have to take it to a shop and have a custom one made. And will the accord cat still work?

Old 03-28-2008, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

accord axles will work

get an accord exhaust, however it wont line up, unless you get a prelude type SH header, then they will line right up, but an exhaust shop could make it work real easy

use a prelude cat

Old 03-28-2008, 10:16 PM

OK thanks appreciate it. Is there anythign you would recommend seeing as you are doing the same swap, or is everything I;m doing typical of a normal swap.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

i would do the clutch and flywheel while you are in there,other than that you got pretty much everything

Old 04-02-2008, 11:01 PM

When I go to buyt he timing belt or anything for my H22 can I buy it as if it was the USDM H22A1 or will I need to find a speciality site for the JDM H22, I'm assuming they are they would have the same timing belt and tensioner and head gasket etc right?

Old 04-03-2008, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: eric123

When I go to buyt he timing belt or anything for my H22 can I buy it as if it was the USDM H22A1 or will I need to find a speciality site for the JDM H22, I'm assuming they are they would have the same timing belt and tensioner and head gasket etc right?
correct, pretty much all the parts are interchangable

Old 04-03-2008, 02:24 PM

Ok and last question for now, What do I need to do for the ECU and wiring harness, is it hard?

Old 04-03-2008, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

seeing your car is already OBD1 it makes it a bit easier, i would get a p28 ecu if i were you and just have it tuned for a h22(www.phearable.net)

there are quite a few wires that need to be lengthened/added, if you are not confident in wiring then i would recommend having hasport.com or rywire.com do it. you just send them your stock wire harness and the h22 harness and they send you back a plug and play one. costs about 250-300

Quick Reply: H22A Motor Swap