General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

hairline crack in distributor part

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Unless you're measuring it wrong. Then the remaining question is whether that's the only bad part.
True, (although see my last post). I don't think I can do any more to try to verify the coil is bad.

Last edited by sgull; 02-28-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Is this an OEM manual? Are you measuring resistances at connector or directly on the coil? If on the coil, you must disconnect from distributor to get correct readings. I think you have to remove connector to perform test but wanted to be sure.

Is terminal D the secondary terminal? It does not appear on 1994 F22B2 diagram I have.

Can you post your diagram? If by zero, you mean a dead short this could be a fault, or perhaps your multimeter can not distinguish such as small resistance. What was resistance scale setting when you measured A-C and B-D.

good luck

Old 02-28-2013, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Is this an OEM manual? Are you measuring resistances at connector or directly on the coil? If on the coil, you must disconnect from distributor to get correct readings. I think you have to remove connector to perform test but wanted to be sure. Is terminal D the secondary terminal? It does not appear on 1994 F22B2 diagram I have. Can you post your diagram? If by zero, you mean a dead short this could be a fault, or perhaps your multimeter can not distinguish such as small resistance. What was resistance scale setting when you measured A-C and B-D.
It is not an OEM manual; it's a Chilton manual. The specs I quoted are specifically for the 1992-92 Accord. I'll see if I might be able to scan the diagram/drawing of the coil and connector terminals from the manual and post it here (update: see my next post). I did the testing with the coil removed from the vehicle. The four A,B,C, and D terminals ("pins") on the coil are what the connector plugs into. Resistance scale setting when measuring between A-C was 2 ohms. Resistance scale setting when measuring B-D was 20K ohms and also tried it with 2K ohms setting too. If I recall when testing with the two other multimeters there was a very minimal readout of 0.1 ohm between A-C. The multimeters I tested with were all digital.

Last edited by sgull; 02-28-2013 at 09:28 PM. Reason: posted diagram/drawing in next post
Old 02-28-2013, 09:26 PM

Here's the diagram/drawing from the manual:
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...psde653e40.jpg

Old 03-01-2013, 10:34 AM

Do you have an accompanying wiring diagram. My OEM manual has same connector picture, but the wiring diagram does not show a "D" wire on engine side of harness. There are 3 wires connecting to coil and one HV coil output. D may not be connected a wire on engine side connector.

Or, you have a completely different system than presented in the 1994 F22B2 ignition system.

My diagram indicates only the following resistance combinations are possible. No D combination is shown.

1) A-C - zero ohms, dead short
2) A-B - Primary coil, 0.6-0.8 ohms
3) A - Coil Output Terminal - 14-22 kohms

It may be that D is connected to the output terminal, however this would create a possilble HV leakage so seems unlikely.

good luck

Old 03-01-2013, 11:30 AM

Do you have an accompanying wiring diagram. My OEM manual has same connector picture, but the wiring diagram does not show a "D" wire on engine side of harness. There are 3 wires connecting to coil and one HV coil output. D may not be connected a wire on engine side connector. Or, you have a completely different system than presented in the 1994 F22B2 ignition system. My diagram indicates only the following resistance combinations are possible. No D combination is shown.
1) A-C - zero ohms, dead short
2) A-B - Primary coil, 0.6-0.8 ohms
3) A - Coil Output Terminal - 14-22 kohms
It may be that D is connected to the output terminal, however this would create a possilble HV leakage so seems unlikely
Here's a picture of the info I'm going by, from my manual, for my '92 Accord:
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...ps104cb3b7.jpg
And here's the best I can do for a wiring diagram from the manual, showing the coil in diagram (sorry about blurriness); doesn't seem specific as to ABCD terminals/wiring on the diagram: http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...pse74191f7.jpg

Old 03-01-2013, 11:40 AM

Terminal D must be strictly a test port on the coil. It is not documented in the 94 manual I have. Your picture does not show a D location on the coil. That A-D resistance spec appears no where in Honda manual. No combination of series or parallel of primary and secondary could account for that resistance.

If you're confident of your measurements, the primary appears to be shorted. This would be unusual, as the secondary is usually the source of problems.

good luck

Old 03-01-2013, 12:03 PM

If you're confident of your measurements, the primary appears to be shorted. This would be unusual, as the secondary is usually the source of problems.
Let's say I'm fairly/reasonably confident of my measurements. In retrospect I was thinking perhaps the cut-like tear I discovered halfway through the coil wire (please see my post #17 this thread, toward the beginning, where I describe it) was perhaps what contributed to the coil going bad, if indeed it's definitely bad.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:34 PM

The coils in the distributor provide timing signals which the ECM uses to time fuel injection and spark. However, the voltage in the coils is very low< 5v, so unless the coil is open, a tiny crack will have no affect. You can measure coil resistance and compare to specs.

good luck

Old 03-01-2013, 02:56 PM

The coils in the distributor provide timing signals which the ECM uses to time fuel injection and spark. However, the voltage in the coils is very low< 5v, so unless the coil is open, a tiny crack will have no affect. You can measure coil resistance and compare to specs.
I'm unclear about your response as quoted above. You mention coils in the distributor, whereas we've been discussing (most recently in this long thread) my measuring of the resistance(s) of the ignition coil compared to specs. To what/where are you referring a tiny crack? Tiny crack in the sensor in the distributor?

Quick Reply: hairline crack in distributor part