General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Haven't seen this 'starting issue' yet

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 01:16 AM
Default Haven't seen this 'starting issue' yet

93 Accord LX, auto. Starts up for half a millisecond then immediately shuts off. Also, when it shuts off, the indicator lights (battery, engine,etc) on the dash shut off even though the key is in the 'on' position. All lights, accessories, stereo, etc. still work. Here's the kicker: I turn the key until it starts and while still holding the key, I ever so slightly turn back toward me. Still holding it in this position, the car runs and operates as it should. I drove it to a local shop this way - holding the key. As soon as I let go of the key, the car shuts off. It operates as it should as long as the key is held in that "sweet spot." Anyone want to take a gander at this one? Thanx!

Old 10-11-2006, 01:39 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Haven't seen this 'starting issue' yet

main relay

Old 10-11-2006, 01:48 AM

Easy as that? Where is that? Under the hood with the fuses? Thanx!

Old 10-11-2006, 02:06 AM

ORIGINAL: YeuEmMaiMai

main relay
Yeu my man, i don't mean to step on your toes but it is not the main relay

It is the electrical portion of the ignition switch .. call your local dealer, it is about 60-70 dollars ,, tell them you need the electr part of the ignition switch
to replace you got to remove the steering column covers,, phillip screws + unsnap. , disconnect switch from fuse box plug , left underdash kick panel . remove the 2, 6 mm screws that hold the electrical portion on from the main switch, and pull it out, there is a clip and a wire tie you need to cut off......

rerout the switch the same way you took it out and reinstall everythig in reverse order

no need to disconnect battery ,,so first thing you should do , is unplug the switch from its source ( by the fuse box )

Old 10-11-2006, 02:21 AM

And you, for sure, think it's this? Both answers sound logical to me. The car is already at the shop. They don't know it's there yet. Maybe I can go swipe it in the morning b4 they open and fix it on my own - like I originally wanted to. Thanx!

Old 10-11-2006, 02:29 AM

ORIGINAL: HondaNoMore

And you, for sure, think it's this? Both answers sound logical to me. The car is already at the shop. They don't know it's there yet. Maybe I can go swipe it in the morning b4 they open and fix it on my own - like I originally wanted to. Thanx!

AM I SURE ????.......Does the bear **** in the woods ?? ....yes i am sure ,,very sure,, very very sure ,, very very very sure ,, Ok i am playing with you now

it is the electr part of the ignition switch.. replace it and you are set to go

Old 10-11-2006, 04:52 AM

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

X2

The main relay wont affect the dash lights.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:23 AM

Okay then. Great! Thank you very much! I wasn't questioning your knowledge, I was just questioning the certainty of what you think the problem is. I'll take a closer look at it.
ORIGINAL: deserthonda

ORIGINAL: HondaNoMore

AM I SURE ????.......Does the bear **** in the woods ?? ....yes i am sure ,,very sure,, very very sure ,, very very very sure ,, Ok i am playing with you now

Old 10-11-2006, 12:47 PM

listen to desert hes an actual honda shop mechanic, so he knows his ****.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:05 PM

desert honda's right on the money, I have sold my share of these when I worked for a Honda dealership.

Quick Reply: Haven't seen this 'starting issue' yet