General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Head Gasket repair cost? And is it worth doing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 03:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Location: Palm Harbor, Florida (34683) now; originally from Arizona.
Default Head Gasket repair cost? And is it worth doing?

So, the head gasket in my 2000 Honda Accord LX V6 3.0L finally blew last month. I'm assuming that it's the head gasket, being that my car completely overheated and almost stalled, had white smoke coming out of the exhaust, and, now, will not even start and run. So, I'm curious about what I should/could even try to do with the car now.

1.) About how much should the parts and labor cost to get done?
2.) Is it a generally good idea to try to find a private mechanic? Or only go through a mechanic shop?
3.) Is it likely even worth replacing the head gasket on a 2000 Accord with 265,000 miles on it?
4.) Is it likely that other parts also need to be replaced/additional work needs to be done?

For the record, my Accord apparently had some head gasket issues for the past several months, so that's why I am specifically worried about there potentially/likely being other damage to the motor, since the car had been overheating severely, on several/dozens of occasions, over the past 8 months or so. The reason I am saying this is because my car would often get really hot while making my drive to and from work (which is brutal, 76 miles each way, through mountain ranges and up and down some serious hills), and the plastic radiator overflow tank literally melted/exploded on two different times. After I posted about this on here, and also mentioned it to a mechanic while getting my oil changed, I was told that this was likely due to a head gasket leak and combustion fuel getting in to the cooling system, which was causing the fluid in the cooling system to get much hotter than it usually gets, and that's why the plastic overflow tank melted and exploded twice.

So, with this information, should I even try to get the head gasket repaired? If so, what would be the best/cheapest way to get it done? FYI, I do not have the tools, knowledge, nor patience try to do a job like this, and money is an issue, so that's why I'm trying to find out what may be the cheapest way to pay to get it fixed properly; if it's even worth trying to get the work done, that is.

Also, if the head gasket repair is too expensive (which is very likely, being that I would have trouble even coming up with $500-$600 right now), or if that work alone is probably not even worth doing, about how much could I realistically get for my Accord?

It's a 2000 Honda Accord LX V6 3.0L with 265,000 miles on it. Overall, it's in pretty good condition, inside and outside, but the hood is faded/ugly. All the power windows work properly, as does/did the A/C and heater. What's a realistic expectation of about how much I might be able to sell the car for, in its current condition and needing the head gasket repaired?

As always, sorry for the lengthy post. And I would really appreciate some helpful replies!

Old 04-10-2018, 05:07 PM

My guess: unless you have a buddy who will do it, or get incredibly lucky finding a guy...you will find it way too much money to do the HG correctly. Paying some random guy to do it on the cheap, is an easy way to miss something (cracked or warped this ir that) and have all your money go down the hole.

I would call around your area and see if you can find a used motor.

Roy

Old 04-11-2018, 12:40 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by irhunter
My guess: unless you have a buddy who will do it, or get incredibly lucky finding a guy...you will find it way too much money to do the HG correctly. Paying some random guy to do it on the cheap, is an easy way to miss something (cracked or warped this ir that) and have all your money go down the hole.

I would call around your area and see if you can find a used motor.

Roy
Thank you very much for the reply. I'm curious about a few things with regards to getting a used motor, so if you wouldn't mind replying again, I would really appreciate it.

1.) About how much should I expect to pay for a used JDM engine? $400-$500? $600-$800? More?
2.) Should I be able to get one in the Phoenix, Arizona, area, at a reasonable price? Any suggestions about where I should try to get one from?
3.) Being that my Accord LX is a V6 3.0L, would I have to get another V6? Or would a 4-cylinder engine also work?
4.) About how much should I expect to have to pay to have a new engine installed? And should I only go through a mechanic shop?
5.) What would/should I do with my old engine?

Also, if I can't realistically afford to buy a used JDM motor and have it installed, which is very likely, what would you suggest I try to do with my 2000 Accord LX? Do you have any idea what I might realistically be able to sell it for as-is, with a blown head gasket? Is $750 reasonable and realistic? $500? Less than $500?

Old 04-11-2018, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by AzAssassin
Thank you very much for the reply. I'm curious about a few things with regards to getting a used motor, so if you wouldn't mind replying again, I would really appreciate it.

1.) About how much should I expect to pay for a used JDM engine? $400-$500? $600-$800? More?
2.) Should I be able to get one in the Phoenix, Arizona, area, at a reasonable price? Any suggestions about where I should try to get one from?
3.) Being that my Accord LX is a V6 3.0L, would I have to get another V6? Or would a 4-cylinder engine also work?
4.) About how much should I expect to have to pay to have a new engine installed? And should I only go through a mechanic shop?
5.) What would/should I do with my old engine?

Also, if I can't realistically afford to buy a used JDM motor and have it installed, which is very likely, what would you suggest I try to do with my 2000 Accord LX? Do you have any idea what I might realistically be able to sell it for as-is, with a blown head gasket? Is $750 reasonable and realistic? $500? Less than $500?

1. If you want a from-Japan motor, just call up the dudes who sell than, and ask. I think you are going to find them, after shipping and install, too expensive. I suspect, local salvage yards will be the answer. They will either put it in for you, or suggest someone who will. For a quick look at the possibilities, search for a motor here:

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

3. I expect someone to answer this question who has more experience with this model than I have. But, in general, you save in labor if you drop in exactly the same motor you started with. Motor mounts, exhaust, throttle linkage, electronics will all match up without any futzing. If you do this, pay the extra and do the timing belt and water pump when you have the new motor out of the car.

4. My guess, is 4 hours if you swap in the same motor. But, anyone in the biz will tell you, over the phone, what it will run.

5. The salvage yard will probably charge you a core fee, and want your old motor back (they will give you the core money back when you return with your pooched motor).

Where I live, your car would be worth about 500 bucks. You should be able to get a feel on that from Craigslist postings.

Roy

Old 04-11-2018, 01:42 PM
Newest Of Newbies

1. If you want a from-Japan motor, just call up the dudes who sell than, and ask. I think you are going to find them, after shipping and install, too expensive. I suspect, local salvage yards will be the answer. They will either put it in for you, or suggest someone who will. For a quick look at the possibilities, search for a motor here:

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

3. I expect someone to answer this question who has more experience with this model than I have. But, in general, you save in labor if you drop in exactly the same motor you started with. Motor mounts, exhaust, throttle linkage, electronics will all match up without any futzing. If you do this, pay the extra and do the timing belt and water pump when you have the new motor out of the car.

4. My guess, is 4 hours if you swap in the same motor. But, anyone in the biz will tell you, over the phone, what it will run.

5. The salvage yard will probably charge you a core fee, and want your old motor back (they will give you the core money back when you return with your pooched motor).

Where I live, your car would be worth about 500 bucks. You should be able to get a feel on that from Craigslist postings.

Roy
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply again and try to help with answering my questions. I really appreciate it.

Honestly, it seems like it's probably going to be around $1,000 to get a used engine and have it installed, which would mean that that's simply not a realistic option for me at this time. I get attached to things way too often, so I usually hate having to even think about parting with them, so that's the main reason I was hoping to try to be able to keep my Accord, as I've had it for over 3 years now. However, it seems like trying to sell it is going to be my best option, and $500 would definitely help towards getting me closer to getting another vehicle, so I may try to post it on the local Craigslist and see what offers I might get.

So, thanks again for taking the time to reply to my questions. Have a great day, my friend!

Old 04-11-2018, 03:20 PM

Good luck.

FWIW, you're making the right call.

You have a high-mileage car and you are not going to do the swap yourself. Hard to make that combo work.

Roy

Old 04-11-2018, 03:45 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Good luck.

FWIW, you're making the right call.

You have a high-mileage car and you are not going to do the swap yourself. Hard to make that combo work.

Roy
I have to agree with that.
I only say that as a JDM motor will run between 500 and 800, then add paying someone to install it will be about the same, if not more. That's the problem with older cars...paying for parts and installation. Add in that the next thing to go will probably be the AT. I only say that, as they are known to go. You're probably only going to get about 500 if you're lucky. I paid 350 for my 99, and it had needs an engine in shoe polish on the windshield. Turned out it just needed a lower pulley and the timing reset.

Keep in mind that even if your car didn't have a blown head gasket, it would still only be worth about 2,000 to 2500 mostly due to mileage, but also age (it's 18 years old right now). Is it a coupe, or a sedan?

I'd probably look on Craig's list for a Toyota or something like that, as from what I understand there's quite a few in Florida.

Old 04-11-2018, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

For 1998-2002 the 4-cyl is so much different than the V6 that it may as well be a different car.

Engines spin in opposite directions, so the 4-cyl engine is on the left side of the engine bay, transmission on the right. Your V-6 engine is on the right side of the car & the transmission is on the left. Just about everything else in the engine bay is different or at least relocated from the battery tray to the air filter housing to a zillion other little things.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

What folks are trying to tell you is it would be exceedingly foolish to even attempt to put the I4 engine in place of your V6; for all intents and purposes the 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder cars are literally different and almost completely incompatible cars forward of the firewall.

As for sourcing a J30A1 engine from Japan, while it is possible, as far as I understand it, the only JDM car built with that engine was the Honda Avancier, and that car didn't sell in very large numbers. Said another way, very few J30A1 engines were ever sold in Japan; the vast-VAST majority of those engines were sold in the U.S. market.

Old 04-12-2018, 01:43 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by shipo
What folks are trying to tell you is it would be exceedingly foolish to even attempt to put the I4 engine in place of your V6; for all intents and purposes the 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder cars are literally different and almost completely incompatible cars forward of the firewall.

As for sourcing a J30A1 engine from Japan, while it is possible, as far as I understand it, the only JDM car built with that engine was the Honda Avancier, and that car didn't sell in very large numbers. Said another way, very few J30A1 engines were ever sold in Japan; the vast-VAST majority of those engines were sold in the U.S. market.
Yup. The entire front subframe and front and rear cross members are different too. You could look for an engine out of an other Honda or Acura as well.
But, if you have limited funds, you'll have to figure out whats best for you.

Quick Reply: Head Gasket repair cost? And is it worth doing?