General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Light Bulb Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Default Head Light Bulb Replacement

I have searched but can't find the answer. This is probably a simple thing to do but the owner's manual isn't very clear. I need to replace the low beam head light bulb on the drivers side of my 2004 Honda Accord EX/AT. The only thing the manual tells me to do is turn the wheels to the right in order to 'get to it'. Okay, I understand that. If I take the fender well cover off will that allow me access to the bulbs? Someone on ask.com said you have to remove battery and then...just reach in and unplug. Is there an easy way to gain access to the bulb? Thank you, in advance, for any help.
PattyW

Old 04-16-2011, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Different years, sometimes it's blocked by the battery. But for 2004 I think you do have to push open the plastic inner-fender liner & reach in that way. You probably have to remove a couple fasteners - some combination of screws & those stupid little push things.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

As shown in the owner's manual, turn the steering wheel to the right, then use a small flat-head screwdriver, pry the two plastic clips off. It helps to spray the plastic clips first with something like WD-40, to help remove any built up grime and dirt on the inside of the clips.

Attached Thumbnails Head Light Bulb Replacement-low-beam-1.jpg   Head Light Bulb Replacement-low-beam-2.jpg  
Old 04-17-2011, 02:26 PM
Default Mission Accomplished

Thank you for the help. It took me longer to go purchase the bulb than it did to replace it. I did as described above...removed two of those stupid little push things, pulled back the inner-fender liner (which I thought was plastic but it feels like some type of rubber material) just enough to get my hand inside, located and removed the burned out bulb, inserted new bulb, put the inner-fender liner back in place and said..."See, you CAN do it."

Old 04-17-2011, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

And if you didn't break those little plastic pin things, you did better than a lot of people.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:21 AM

No, surprisingly, they did not break and snapped back in easily. I guess I did good.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I checked for this little access panel in the driver side but it is not there. I would have had to remove the complete wheel well panel. I took the battery removal approach. It was fairly simple and easy. It looks like it's a PITA, but easy. You need a 10mm wrench/socket and that's it. I used a 9006 for low beams ($10.95) and 9005 for high beams from local parts store.

Remove the NEG side of battery, and then POS side. Remove the battery hold down brace. Remove battery and it's little cover. The battery holder/well will move easy enough out of the way. Make sure you remove or secure the long bolts that are part of the battery hold down brace. They hook into the metal part of the battery compartment/holder. There is also a plastic cover of some sort between the battery compartment and the front grill. It has pop out pins. Pop them and remove.

The bulb is easily accessed from there. Remove the connector from bulb before removing from headlight fixture. Squeeze connector in the middle of the connector (near the wiring) to open latch that catches to the bulb. Then pull down. Rotated the bulb about 45 degrees and pull. Very easy, it almost pops out. Install new bulb in reverse order. Reconnect the connector.

Center the battery holder, long bolts, and install battery. Install all battery covers and tighten battery hold down brace. Connect POS side first and then NEG side of battery cables. Install the other plastic cover thing.

It took me about 15 minutes beginning to end, and included finding 10 mm wrench and clean up. Much easier than I thought when I first looked under the hood.

BIG Problems!!!! disconnecting battery kills the radio. We have the EX-V6 with CD/SAT radio. Now radio don't work. I have tried the inter "CODE" stuff but not working. We purchased this car used, so I'm F'd on gaining info from the Honda hot line. So If you remove the battery to change your headlamp bulb, be prepared to have all your information to reset the anti theft BS associated with this car. Very unhappy with this today. How could Honda think that this radio is so valuable as to cause these problems, of the battery being disconnected for 10 minutes.

Last edited by ken59; 01-08-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:34 PM

ken59,
You had to do all of this to replace your high and low beam headlamps? Mine was easily accessed by removing a couple of the plastic pins, pulling the inner fender liner towards me just enough to be able to reach in and then removing the bulb.

Had to replace the low beam bulb on the passenger side two weeks ago and it was even easier. Just raise the hood, reach in to squeeze connector, pull out, remove burned out bulb and replace with new one, stick it back in headlight and rotate clockwise to secure in place. EZPZ.

I've always purchase new Honda's and have my "CODE" card. I'm also considerate enough to leave the card in the owners manual when I trade up to a newer model. Perhaps the person who sold you the car still has the code card?? If not, surely there must be some way for your Honda dealership to assist you with obtaining the code for your radio.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:35 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PattyW
ken59,
You had to do all of this to replace your high and low beam headlamps? Mine was easily accessed by removing a couple of the plastic pins, pulling the inner fender liner towards me just enough to be able to reach in and then removing the bulb.

Had to replace the low beam bulb on the passenger side two weeks ago and it was even easier. Just raise the hood, reach in to squeeze connector, pull out, remove burned out bulb and replace with new one, stick it back in headlight and rotate clockwise to secure in place. EZPZ.

I've always purchase new Honda's and have my "CODE" card. I'm also considerate enough to leave the card in the owners manual when I trade up to a newer model. Perhaps the person who sold you the car still has the code card?? If not, surely there must be some way for your Honda dealership to assist you with obtaining the code for your radio.

Thanks PattyW. Yep, Live and Learn. I looked at the wheelwell and one of the plastic pins had a crack around it. I decided not to trust this method, even though the owner's manual spelled it out. So, me being me, I ended up doing it the hard way. Removing the battery was no big deal and took no time at all. I decided that I would write up my way of the change out for others. Well, after a few hours of patting myself on the back, my wife took the car to the store. I did not notice the radio problem. But I did learn about it when she got home. This set off another round of trying to fix things.

It is now fixed. I had to call Honda this morning. I gave them the radio serial number and VIN. They gave me the correct radio code. The book is correct that if you don't enter the correct code it locks the whole radio down. This gives ERROR E on the radio display and now the only thing you can do is: Let the car and radio stay on for one hour (this is in the owner's manual) and the "CODE" will appear in the display again. Then enter the correct code. Thanks for your reply