General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

headlight burn out

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 11:08 PM
Default headlight burn out

I have recently been having some problems with my head lights. I have a 2000 EX V6. I have about 190,000 miles. Now the problem that I have been having recently, I have one head light burn out and then I replace it, and then the other burns out about three weeks later. I have tried to check for a surge, but nothing detectable while not moving. I started with some cheap headlights from Wal-Mart, $8 a piece. I thought it was just a one time thing after I jump started someone at work. So I went out and bought a set of Sylvania Silverstars. It worked for about four months. I upgraded the brights, and liked the super bright Silverstar Ultras. I went and purchased the dims. Anout three weeks later the passenger side dim headlight burnt out. The filament melted towards the top of the hook. I took it back to the parts store I purchased them at, because three weeks, and could be a faulty light. About three weeks later, thedriver side dim bulb burnt out. Its only been about a month and a half or so since I replaced both of them, and now it gets kinda expensive at $25 a bulb. If anyone has ANY experience, or knowledge of what could cause something like this would be GREATLY appreciated. I haven't had any problems with our 2004 CR-V...but it takes a 9003, instead of 9005, and 9006. AGAIN, THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!!
Brandon

Old 05-26-2007, 07:18 PM
Default RE: headlight burn out

Start by checking the Battery minus to chassis ground. I've seen that cause overvoltage problems before.

If you have access to a voltmeter, check the voltage across the battery. It should be around 12V with engine off, and around 14V with engine running. If you have excess voltage at the battery, your alternator probably has a bad regulator.

Check the voltage for the headlights at the fuse panel under the hood. Again, 14V max. Any more and you will be toasting bulbs.

Jim

Old 05-30-2007, 02:11 PM

I used the volt meter to check at the head light, but it has no high voltage or spikes. I have not checked to ground, so I will deinately check that! As far as across the battery, and from the altenator both are about 13.9V to a high with the amplifier cd player head lights and foglights on of 14.3V. I wish I had saved the light and took a picture. The dim filament looks like it melted from the top of the hook, towards the outside of the light when installed. I am lookinf to upgrading the headlight assembly to the Altezza black headlights with the projector style headlights. I really don't want to spend $179, and then have the projector fry because of a voltage spike or low, or whatever keeps frying the bulb! Thanks for the info, I will check that out!
THANKS AGAIN!!
Brandon

Old 05-31-2007, 06:33 AM

Although it was in a different vehicle, I always use Silverstars and I only get about 3 months out of them. That seems to be normal because I use them in two vehicles and 3 months is about the life of the bulb. Sucks because I love the bulbs....

Old 06-02-2007, 08:08 PM

As for three months thats no where near normal. I have had four 9004 Silverstar lights in my 1990 Cadillac..(I know kinda dumb on Cadillacs part...). Ihave had them for about two and a half years. I always drive with my lights on, so abuse should have nothing to do with it. I don't know your situation directly, but if you still own that particualr vehicle, I would be checking it out....at $20-$25 a pop, that adds up, and if you step down to say a cool blue and it lasts, something is wrong. All head lights, if installed properly should last approximatley two years. Now that depends on type of terrain, amount of usage, and MAINLY if you touch the bulb when installing. With all halogen lights, you CANNOT touch the glass when installing, they will either burn out way too soon...possibly your problem....or even explode inside the housing. The grease on your fingers cooks when the light is installed and turned on. Kinda like when you fry with grease and no lid...and then *pop*no more light. I burn any light bulb I put in, cheap, expensive, the Accord cares not! Anyway, I am still searching in my quest to find a problem...no one around wher I live has a clue what would cause this problem. Brandon

Old 02-02-2009, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by sevillized
As for three months thats no where near normal. I have had four 9004 Silverstar lights in my 1990 Cadillac..(I know kinda dumb on Cadillacs part...). Ihave had them for about two and a half years. I always drive with my lights on, so abuse should have nothing to do with it. I don't know your situation directly, but if you still own that particualr vehicle, I would be checking it out....at $20-$25 a pop, that adds up, and if you step down to say a cool blue and it lasts, something is wrong. All head lights, if installed properly should last approximatley two years. Now that depends on type of terrain, amount of usage, and MAINLY if you touch the bulb when installing. With all halogen lights, you CANNOT touch the glass when installing, they will either burn out way too soon...possibly your problem....or even explode inside the housing. The grease on your fingers cooks when the light is installed and turned on. Kinda like when you fry with grease and no lid...and then *pop*no more light. I burn any light bulb I put in, cheap, expensive, the Accord cares not! Anyway, I am still searching in my quest to find a problem...no one around wher I live has a clue what would cause this problem. Brandon
Sorry for reviving this, were you able to find out the culprit? My passenger side headlight keep burning out. The driver side is fine and no burn out. What could be causing this? .

Last edited by humblehyper; 02-02-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:44 AM
Scott EXR
Unregistered

I really cant see it being silverstar headlights causing you the problem either, Ive had a set in my truck for almost 2 years and never had a problem. But maybe people have bad luck with them. I have a 1992 honda accord EXR and the headlights have been a problem . My newest problem with them is the high beam on the drivers side will not light although all the fuses the relay, and the bulb are not blown, the high beam indicator light in the dash stopped working too. Its something small and stupid but I cant figure out mine either. My 1998 was the same way and then it just started working again, go figure. With your problem it could be the headlight relay . A loose connection will cause that too. hopefully that'll help you

Last edited by Scott EXR; 06-14-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:44 PM
Default Similar problem - but bulb is fine

good afternoon. I have a 2006 Accord 4cyl. the drivers head light went out so i replaced it.. then about 2 weeks later the passenger side went out so i replaced that one. Then about 2 days after doing the passenger side, the passenger side went dark. I pulled the bulb out (passenger side) and it looked fine. i put it back in, stated the car and it was workign fine. the next time i started the car (4hours later) the passenger side went dark again. wires seem fine so no loose connection at the head light. They bulbs i used are Sylvainia 9006. bulb still looks fine. any ideas?

Old 01-22-2010, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

Flaky connections at the headlight relay?

Old 02-15-2010, 01:15 PM

Hi do you have a DRL light in the dash that comes on when the light goes off...
It's a problem almost every honda on acura.
The Daylight Relay can cause the high beam to go on and off and the day light wont come on either.
I thought maybe if it make it blink a couple fast could burn the bulbs.
If that is the case it's a easy and cheap fix..