General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 12:57 PM
Default Headlight problem?

Hello all!
I have a 2000 Accord EX Sedan 4cyl Vtech.
Recently the front bumper cover was almost ripped off when a driver cut the corner to tight leaving her parking spot and inadvertently pulled my front bumper cover almost off, no real structural damage but one after affect is I have no low beam head lights? The fuses for both headlights are good, the bulbs are both good and my High beams work, but no low beams? Is there a ground up front on the passenger side that bolts around where the bumper cover is? I see no loose wires and a plastic / rubber cover does not seem like a likely place for a ground?

Any and all advise / ideas are welcome!

Old 03-23-2014, 05:42 PM

I found that my brake lamps, lights are out also? I checked all the fuses, relays and bulbs, they are all good, I even bought some new bulbs and a relay and swapped them to make sure. The rear running lights work and front high beams work but the rear brake lights and low beam head light are not working? I pulled the front bumper cover loose where it was hit and there are no broken wires or even wires visible in that area? Anyone with any ideas on the correlation of these two, seem related.

Last edited by Airborn406; 03-23-2014 at 05:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-23-2014, 06:22 PM
Default Wireing

I found this, only thing I can find in common with the two is a Green/white wire, Ground?
http://alarmsellout.com/support/diag...01985-2005.pdf

Old 03-23-2014, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

You need to determine if this is a power or ground problem.

Start by unplugging a bulb that is not working. Headlight would probably be easiest. The red/yel (driver side) or red/grn (passenger side) should have 12V to ground. The blk wire on each side should have about zero resistance to ground.

Let us know what is missing and then you can work backwards.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:07 AM

Thanks, I found out a turn signal bulb was at fault in the rear.
The front I will have to pick up a tester today since mine are all
junk. I'll post back when I find out.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:26 AM

Used a tester and found the headlights had power all along... both bulbs evidently went out when my car was run into? As for the rear, it turned out not to be the bulb? I am thinking it is the brake light switch at the brake pedal since both are not working and the bulbs are good. Trying to find one at a local parts store? Orielly's does not carry it.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

Please do some testing before assuming this is the brake switch.

Unplug the brake switch. Use a piece of wire to jump the wht/yel wire to the wht/blk on the brake switch electrical connector. Do the brake lights work when you do this?

Also look to see if the plastic plug is actually pushing the post of the brake switch to turn on the brake lights. Sometimes this can break.

I recently picked a switch up at a dealer for around $13 for a friend that had a bad brake switch on their car.

Last edited by PAhonda; 03-30-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Is the "high mount/third" brake light working?

Old 03-28-2014, 08:25 AM

Ya, it was not the brake switch or anything else of original origin to the car.
The trailer harness I had purchased with the hitch was / is faulty, I did disconnect it to see if the lights worked and they did not, little did I know it had to be plugged back in to the holder in the back of the car? Paid a Tech at Honda 70+ to find it, lol.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Well, at least you got it figured out.

THANK YOU for coming back with the answer. Too many times we never know the end of the story.

Quick Reply: Headlight problem?