General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights and Tail lights confused?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 01:32 AM
Default Headlights and Tail lights confused?

I just got a 1996 Honda Accord LX automatic I got for cheap with a blown motor. I have a friend/mechanic that I paid to replace the motor with a Jap import with low miles. Everything mechanically is fine but driving it home from his shop it started getting dark and realized theres some electrical problems. When I got the car not only did the motor blow but a year or so prior, the cars previous owner had a blow out on the drivers front and the tire ripped apart the wiring harness for the front headlights and other electrical. Instead of fixing it correctly he hardwired it to the harness on the passenger side. When I got it, I found this maze of wires and realized what happened to the harness so i went to the local junk yard and found the same car and luckily had my missing harness. So i buy the harness, bring it home, replace it and all the lights work and everything seems fine. the next day the car went to the shop to get repaired. Like I said I get it back tonight and realize that my driver side turn signal works with the lights off. When I turn the headlights on, the driver side turn signals stop working completely and the drivers rear blinker remains illuminated. It was already dark and I didnt feel like tackling it tonight so I plan on looking to see what could be the cause of this problem tomorrow. Anybody have any ideas?

Old 11-11-2011, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator

I would look at the ground on or below the bumper on both sides. I would clean up the metal with a wire brush.

You can download a 94 shop manual from the online shop manuals link in the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum. The hondatech site has the pdf. The grounds are in the electrical section under relay and ground locations. It think they are g201 and g301 that I am talking about.

If that doesn't work, then you will have to start testing wires with your volt meter.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:28 PM

Bad ground on the drivers side headlight wiring harness. Problem fixed. thanks!

Old 11-12-2011, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

The "doctor" is pretty dang good....