General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater barely heats car.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Question Heater barely heats car.

Hello, I have a '89 Accord LXi. Blower works well, all the vent funtions (heater control panel) work. However after running/driving for 20 minutes in 40 degree there is minimal warm air being produced. Radiator fluid is good. Any suggestions as what to check? Thanks, Nick

Old 10-13-2012, 03:22 PM
Administrator
Talking Hi Member

Originally Posted by Sundevil81
Hello, I have a '89 Accord LXi. Blower works well, all the vent funtions (heater control panel) work. However after running/driving for 20 minutes in 40 degree there is minimal warm air being produced. Radiator fluid is good. Any suggestions as what to check? Thanks, Nick

1st thing for you too do is to check your thermostat and more than likely replace it along with flushing your radiator at the same time..also at the age of your car, you just might want to replace that radiator cap.

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails Heater barely heats car.-370140-w170.jpg  
Old 10-13-2012, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

If the coolant level is at proper level, then check that the heater control valve is opening and closing properly. It is located in the engine compartment.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:29 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by redbull-1
... check that the heater control valve is opening and closing properly. It is located in the engine compartment:
A) between the engine and the firewall and B) at the end of the cable from the heat controller on the dash
add'l location details ...

Old 10-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Sundevil81
after running/driving for 20 minutes in 40 degree there is minimal warm air being produced.
does the temperature gauge move? (like to the center of the range)

Old 10-13-2012, 05:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Yes, the temperature gauge is at normal operating range (close to the middle of the gauge)

Old 10-13-2012, 08:02 PM

I'd say heater control valve like redbull-1 stated, or clogged heater core. Get your coolant system flushed, and replace your thermostat.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks everyone...I wiil be checking out all of the above this coming week.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default '89 Accord LXi heater problem.

Originally Posted by UhOh
add'l location details ...
Okay, I am back to working on the Accord. I'm going to make it a winter car. I am having a heck of time locating the heater valve. I understand it is between the engine and firewall. I am looking at it in the service manual and know what it looks like. Is it buried underneath something? Do I have to remove something to see it? I have failed to locate the valvle by trying to track the heater valve cable to it. Nothing. Do I need to remove the air filter assembly? I have replaced the thermostat, gasket, and added new anti-freeze. The radiator cap has also been replaced with a new one. Heater valve cable is definitely funtioning on the inside of the vehicle.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

I can take a pic of one of mine if needed....let me try words first....it is cold and dark right now

From the pass side fender, look at the firewall about 40% to the center of the car. You should see two hoses that look like they go inside the firewall. One will have the valve on it, close to the firewall. You should be able to see the cable going to it....the cable also pokes out of the firewall.

Again, let me know if you need a pic and I will go outside....have the 88 and 89 LXi in the driveway.

Quick Reply: Heater barely heats car.