General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater blows hot air even when off

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 01:43 AM
Default Heater blows hot air even when off

Hi everyone!

I have a Honda Accord 2000 LX 2.3L and I have a minor problem that disturbs me - the heater blows out hot/cold air even when it's turned off!

Since I live in a pretty cold region, the regulator is set to "very hot" most of the time. So, now when the weather warms up or when I drive on a highway the heater still works and blows out hot air (without fans working as I could see). However, when I change it from "very hot" to "very cold", everything changes and I start getting cold air instead. This problem doesn't usually appear when the weather isn't that warm or when I drive in a city (however, I can still feel some air with my hands near the heater).

Could somebody explain me what can be wrong with my car?

P.S. Other than this, I don't experience other problems with my heater. It works well, it heats when needed and it cools when needed, A/C works too.

Thank you all for your responses.
And please pardon my English.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator

Your English is pretty good.

Does the blower (the fan inside of the car) stay turned on even when you have it turned off?

Old 05-17-2011, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Your English is pretty good.

Does the blower (the fan inside of the car) stay turned on even when you have it turned off?
Thank you!

No, the blower doesn't work. The hot/cold air comes out by itself. I don't know, maybe it's ok? Looks like the heating/cooling device continues working even when I turn the blower off.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

I think this is normal.

This is probably outside air getting pushed through the vents. You can turn on the recirculation and there should be no air moving through the vents.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I think this is normal.

This is probably outside air getting pushed through the vents. You can turn on the recirculation and there should be no air moving through the vents.
I second that! I was wondering the same thing once. It is in fact just the air being pushed through when its set to use outside air. it usually doesnt bother me but when it does i just hit the air circulation button and it stops immediately given that the fan isnt on.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:08 PM

PAhonda, nickmg555, thank you, guys!
I will try the recirculation button.
I appreciate your help in resolving of this question.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by nickmg555
I second that! I was wondering the same thing once. It is in fact just the air being pushed through when its set to use outside air. it usually doesnt bother me but when it does i just hit the air circulation button and it stops immediately given that the fan isnt on.
Does the temperature of the air change when you turn your regulator to "very cold"? This is just the thing that still bothers me. I can understand that hot air would be getting into the cabin in a warm weather, but as soon as I change it to "very cold" (fans off), the temperature changes.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by emerald
Does the temperature of the air change when you turn your regulator to "very cold"? This is just the thing that still bothers me. I can understand that hot air would be getting into the cabin in a warm weather, but as soon as I change it to "very cold" (fans off), the temperature changes.
Yes, If its set to use outside air it will force the air through. If you have it set to heat it opens the heater core and allows the hot coolant to flow so the air being forced through will be hot as it passes through the core. when you turn it to cold it closes the core and the air you feel then is the outside air at its tempurature, unchanged.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by nickmg555
Yes, If its set to use outside air it will force the air through. If you have it set to heat it opens the heater core and allows the hot coolant to flow so the air being forced through will be hot as it passes through the core. when you turn it to cold it closes the core and the air you feel then is the outside air at its tempurature, unchanged.
Oh, now I see how it works! Thanks a lot for your help.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:08 AM
Default Heater always blows hot no matter when on or off

Ive got a 1999 Honda Accord with a 2.3l Vtech and no matter what my heater blows hot, when its cold and raining or when its 100 outside its always hot. The radiator fans work just fine but when i pull the fuse for the heater i take the fuse from the fans as well. Do yall know how i could fix this? because id actually like to take my girl out when its dark out and be able to have the windows up and not have to sweat, and i cant get my recurculation button or any a/c / heater vent buttons to work the light doesnt work and air comes from the front vents, and the floor vents. Ive been a self tought mechanic since i was 8 and i cant figure it out this is my first honda ive ever owned

Quick Reply: Heater blows hot air even when off