General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater and temperature

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 03:18 AM
tonyw85
Unregistered
Default Heater and temperature

[align=left]Hey all! I just bought a used 95 Accord, and the heater doesn't work. Air blows out, but there is no heat. When the car is heated up, the temperature gauge is about 3cm below the mid point (slightly low temp).

I checked the **** and fuses, and both seem fine. The low temperature makes me wonder though... could it be that somehow my car is operating at a lower temperature, and so the heater core doesn't heat up enough?
Or maybe whatever is measuring the temperature (thermostat?) is broken, and that's somehow causing less coolant to flow into the heater core?
[/align]

Old 09-30-2007, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Heater and temperature

Coolant temp on the gauge is normal, so thermostat is not the problem.

I would suspect the push/pull cable linkage from the temperature control **** on the heater control panel is broken somewhere. This cable actuated by turning the **** either pushes/pulls a wire to close/open the heater control valve which permits water to flow over the heater core. Air always flows over the heater core, so no heat means no hot water is flowing through the heater core.

Look under the hood, against the firewall almost directly behind the distributor for the heater control valve. It's hard to see, but reachable w/ a little effort. It's a simple valve that you pull forward to close or back to open. Have someone move the temp control and see if the valve is moving. If valve is not moving you'll need to fix the actuator cable system. You can manually move the valve to verify heater system is working.

If valve is moving, either the valve is damaged and blocking flow or your heater core is plugged w/ debris. In that case you'll need to try and flush by removing the hoses to the heater core and flushing w/ garden hose. Some radiator stop leaks will plug up the heater core. Your coolant system may need a little maintenance.

A 95 Accord is a good used car and will give lots of miles, but it may need some maintenance; timing belts, water pump, and AC system are likely to need some maintenance if not already done. Read the diy section for tips on maintenance.

You can download the 94-97 Honda Accord Shop Manual from hondahookup.com. Best tool you'll ever acquire.

good luck

Old 09-30-2007, 10:31 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

pull the heater **** our first , make sure that it is not broken, ,, if it is ok,, then follow Texas advice

Old 10-01-2007, 09:46 AM
Good to go
Unregistered

Hi Guys, I have20004Accord Ex V6 climate control and I am not getting any heat. The blower is working. The temperture gauge is showing normal andboth the top and bottom rad hoses and the intake and and outtake heater hoses are hot to touch when thecar is warmed up.? Not sure if this is the same problemtony85 is having.
If some one can help me with this one it would bemuch appreciated.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Good to go

Hi Guys, I have20004Accord Ex V6 climate control and I am not getting any heat.
Wow, that's REALLY a pre-production version, huh?

Anyway, a 2004 auto climate control is a very different animal vs a '95. You can still check the heater valve to make sure it's being controlled by it's cable, but I think you need the engine running. Can't simply turn the temperature dial & expect it to move.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:58 PM
Good to go
Unregistered

Ok guys I found the heater valveattached to the cable. The valve is moving freely when you turn the temperture control **** with the motor running, butI rechecked the heater hoses and unlike I stated in my pervious post. the upper hoses is hot but the bottom one is cold.Cooling is not passing through the heater core. being a 2004 I don't think the heater core is plugged so what do you think guys... should I replace the control valve?

Old 10-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Turn it to hot, then wait awhile before you re-check the other heater hose temperature. Perhaps you're not waiting long enough. Not only does the hot water have to flow, but the heater core has to get hot.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:32 AM
Good to go
Unregistered

Ok I let it run for a long time with the heat turned to max then I cheked the heater hoses again. The lower heater hoses of each side of the heater valve control are hot. Sois it safe to assume the heater valve is working ok in the open position... but the top hose return hoses is cold. So the hot cooling is not circulating through the heater core.....where do I go from here?

Old 10-02-2007, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

My Accord is 4-cyl without dual climate control, so I'm starting to guess about that stuff. It'll be better if someone with the same type chimes in.

Since the original thread is about a '95, maybe you'll have better luck starting your own thread with a title that says something about 2004 with ACC.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:41 AM
Good to go
Unregistered

Thanks JimBlake, i will take your suggestion and start my own tread.
Thanks for help. Much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Heater and temperature