General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello all im new and need your input

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 12:39 AM
ranger498
Unregistered
Default Hello all im new and need your input

Hi all im new here to this forum .
Well here is what is going down ,Im looking to buy this 2000 accord lx sedan 5 speed with 95k miles from a dealer but im not sure if its a good deal or not yet :thinking:
the car has a clean car fax
the original owner did have a custome audio set up but took it out ,but left the wiring intack from the front to the rear.
car drives find no problems that i could see(other than what i posted below) or feel.
the car has
-I belive has jdm projector headlamps and they dont look (USA oem) stock and i have not see any other stock car with them on the road as of yet.
-body has a custom two tone paint finish (stock silver lower with deep dark grey up top)that looks nice and no dents or scratches.
-car has 95k miles
- its a 5 speed
-has a dual exhuast system ..why? dont ask as i dont know ,but it work and looks nice.
-stock stero equipment put back in (am/fm head unit with casset and cd )
-cloth interior(looks new)
-power door locks,windows ect
-dash and carpet look new
-aftermarket air intake
the car drives fine and shifts good (no grinding to slipping)no strange sounds from the motor or tranny. i see no fluid leaks at all.
ok only thing i have found wrong so far is:
-check engine light is on
and the temp guage was not moving to warm when test driving it (about a 25 min ride)but did move a little when parked after my road test.
Now they allowed me to get the car check out to see what was wrong with the check engine light ,so i went to autozone and they told me it was :
~a bad o2 sensor or the cat is bad
~needs thermostat replaced
only other things wrong is
-no tool kit but a jack
-no spare
and nothing else
anyways they guy wanted $4500 for the car but i was able to get him down to 4k flat .
I figure if i do get the car and do need to replace the thermostat i might as well do the timing belt and water pump and belts at the same time .
So tell me guys what do you think is this a good deal or not as im clue less when it comes to this car ?
thanks .
AFS

Old 02-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Hello all im new and need your input

New Member...Post us a picture so that we can take all this in..

Old 02-15-2008, 09:00 AM

Its a hard one and kinda up to interpretation. Personally i dont like to buy cars that others have already customized. Mostly cause I do my own quality work and i dont know how half a$$ they did theirs. On the other hand it does save you money.

Miles are up there and it will need a water pump and timing belt soon. Shop around if you dont plan on doing it yourself cause that can get expensive too. You might getsome quotes and use that as leverage for a lower price

finally $4000 for only a lx sounds like a lot. Do a KBB search of your area. Dont let them trick you into paying more for those so called "custom aftermarket accessories". Doing that to a car actually devalues itat a dealer. Most people want stock.

Good luck

Old 02-15-2008, 11:55 AM

Im no expert but it doesn't sound like a bad deal to me. I paid $4000 for my '99 about a year ago and it's pretty much stock and it had a big dent in the side. Maybe I'm stupid for paying that much, but it just looked like it needed a good home. Catalytic converter is an expensive fix. If you live in a state that tests emissions you may want to take that into consideration and do some further diagnostics on your c.e.l. Good luck to ya.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:54 PM
ranger498
Unregistered

Old 02-15-2008, 03:03 PM
ranger498
Unregistered

Old 02-15-2008, 03:44 PM

Wow. That's rusty. I guess you live somwhere cold/salty?

Old 02-16-2008, 02:44 PM
ranger498
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: brittanym06

Wow. That's rusty. I guess you live somwhere cold/salty?
what gives you that idea ?thats just white grass on the ground and on the car

Old 02-19-2008, 02:55 PM

There is no need to be nasty.......There aren't a whole lot of things that look like that around here. haha.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:40 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Well there's a big difference between "Nawlens" and "Joisey" lol, as in salt. I interpreted the white grass comment as funny not nasty.

As for the car, the fact that it was customized tells me that it could have potentially been driven hard, but the nice paint job tells me they invested some cash and care into it as well. I'm 50/50 on it, but $4k for an '00 seems like a too-good-to-be-true deal.