General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 10:43 PM
Lori
Unregistered
Default Help!

No one answered my first post. I have an 89 Honda Accord DX automatic transmission that shifts into reverse very hard. The transmission fluid is fine-Could it be a cable problem or something else?

Old 09-17-2007, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Help!

By shifing hard, do you mean that it takes a bit for the transmission to switch gears? Have you checked for error codes stored in the TCU?

Checking the solenoids on the tranny with a digital volt meter might indicate a problem. Also clean the screens to these as well. I'm not sure how they are setup on an 89 Accord, but a shop manual (or maybe a Haynes) can give you the specs for the electrical test.

Trannies are not my area of expertise, since mine hasn't given me any problems yet, but I have read a bit about them on here. You might want to do some searching on here for some other ideas.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Help!

A cable problem would feel like the lever itself is sticky with excessive friction to move the lever. If that's the case, you would disconnect the cable at theshift lever to see whether it's the pivot at the lever itself. If not, you can disconnect the cable at the tranny end to see whether it's sticky in the cable itself vs. sticky inside the tranny.

Are you planning towork onit yourself or are you looking for some insight so you can talk to your mechanic?

If the lever moves nicely but the tranny doesn't shift immediately, or klunks when shifting or something like that, then it's likely something inside the tranny.