General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 03:16 AM
munoz86
Unregistered
Default Help

MY DAD WENT TO TAKE MY CAR IN TO GET THE A/C FLUSHED AND EVERYTHING LIKE THAT, THE GUY TOLD HIM THAT I WOULD NEED A NEW FAN OR MY CAR WILL GET HOT A LOT...NOW THE THINGS IS I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CARS N MY DAD JUST TELLS ME IT'S NOT THE A/C FAN THAT NEEDS THE REPLACING, SO I NEED TO KNOWTHE NAME TO THE OTHERONE AND WHERE I CAN FIND ONE FOR A REASONABLE PRICE...ALSO WHEN I ALWAYS PUT THE CAR IN REVERSE IT JUMPS N MAKES A CRANK NOISE...ANY IDEAS ON THAT...THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

BY THE WAY ITS A 1990 ACCORD EX 4DR

Old 12-03-2007, 06:38 AM
Default RE: Help

The AC Fan us usually called the condensor fan and the other fan is called the radiator or cooling fan. If it does not work, it can be hotwired right at the fan wire connector to see if it turns on, I guess yours did not and they say it needs replaced.

Someone here will tell you where to get a good priced fan if you do not want an original USED fan from a junk yard for cheap, maybe someone on here has one for sale??????

Does your AC work, if so, turn it on and look at both fans, they both should be running, we can help with diagnosis if you want to look things over yourself. Do you have a voltmeter or test light? Do you also have a digital camera and a website where you store your online photos, some pics of the car and fan and stuff will help?

Old 12-03-2007, 09:17 AM
Default RE: Help

First you need to make sure it is not simply the fan motor that has gone out. With the engine cool and off, reach down and try to spin the fan by hand first. If it spins fairly easily and you can tell there is nothing obtructing the fan blades, then you need to grab close to the middle and try to wiggle it back and forth. Try to push in, pull away from the engine, and try to wiggle from side to side. if there is any play, you need a new motor.
If it is simply the fan motor, you can easily DIY. You only need a jack, some jackstands (or ramps), and some metric wrenches (10mm & 12mm was all I needed on my 95 V6). The motor can be had at Advance or AutoZone for around $50. My advice would be to remove the old motor and bring it in to AZ or Advance for comparison to the new one as sometimes Honda used 2 different brands for stock motors.