General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with 1996 Accord LX

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Alex450
Unregistered
Unhappy Help with 1996 Accord LX

Hi,

Just trying to help a friend. He has a 1996 Accord LX 4-cyl. He had some issues with A/C (when he turned A/C on, it was blowing nothing but warm air. He took to a "mechanic" and mechanic disconnected somthing or removed something, I wish I would have seen what he did (see grey wire wire coming from a compressor, I guess and connected directly to a connector from the harness(see picture) and now when he turns A/C on, it constantly on. Since neither myself or him don't have a service manual, I am trying to figure out what part this mechanic disconnected or removed. If ayone can compare the attached picture with your accord, and see if anything is missing at the picture, please post it here. It would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

Attached Thumbnails Help with 1996 Accord LX-ac_pic3.jpg  
Old 05-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Its kind of hard to see what the mechanic did. I'm guessing that he somehow bypassed the compressor relay.

The wire that leads to the compressor goes to the compressor relay. That relay is mounted on a bracket (along with another relay) bolted to the driver's side fan.

You can download a 94 shop manual from spoon honda link in the Online Manuals thread in the DIY section. That will have good diagrams for you to figure out what is going on.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:05 PM
Alex450
Unregistered

Originally Posted by Alex450
Hi,

Just trying to help a friend. He has a 1996 Accord LX 4-cyl. He had some issues with A/C (when he turned A/C on, it was blowing nothing but warm air. He took to a "mechanic" and mechanic disconnected somthing or removed something, I wish I would have seen what he did (see grey wire wire coming from a compressor, I guess and connected directly to a connector from the harness(see picture) and now when he turns A/C on, it constantly on. Since neither myself or him don't have a service manual, I am trying to figure out what part this mechanic disconnected or removed. If ayone can compare the attached picture with your accord, and see if anything is missing at the picture, please post it here. It would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex
First off all, thatnks for a quick reply. I had a chance to see waht is going on. When the engine is idling and he turned A/C on, the compressor constantly engaging and desengaging. Any ideas on this issue.

Thanks,
Alex

Old 05-22-2009, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

When the AC is turned on, it's SUPPOSED to engage & disengage maybe every minute or 2. It does that based on the temperature at the evaporator core. If it cycles too quickly on & off, that can be an indication of a few different things...
Over-charged with refrigerant?
Expansion orifice obstructed?

Need to measure pressures while it's running, to figure out what's going on. That manual PA mentiones will have all kinds of details about checking out the AC.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:03 AM
Alex450
Unregistered

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Its kind of hard to see what the mechanic did. I'm guessing that he somehow bypassed the compressor relay.

The wire that leads to the compressor goes to the compressor relay. That relay is mounted on a bracket (along with another relay) bolted to the driver's side fan.

You can download a 94 shop manual from spoon honda link in the Online Manuals thread in the DIY section. That will have good diagrams for you to figure out what is going on.
__________________________________________________ ___________
If you don't mind, would you please post the picture showing the exact location and then I can check if that part exist on my friend's car.

Thanks,
Alex

Old 05-26-2009, 07:39 PM
Alex450
Unregistered

You were 100% correct about the compressor relay. I checked another Honda Accord and sure enough, the compressor relay is missing on my friend's Accord. So, if the relay is defective, A/C will never work unless the relay is bypassed.

Thanks,
Alex

Old 05-27-2009, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Alex450
... So, if the relay is defective, A/C will never work unless the relay is bypassed.
... or REPLACED with a working relay.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:53 PM
Alex450
Unregistered

Originally Posted by JimBlake
... or REPLACED with a working relay.
Well, I was thinking that the A/C relay was missing, but it is not. The actual problem with my friend's Accord is the vacuum solenoid (located on a firewall and has two vacuum hoses and a place to plug a connector) that increases the engine RPMs when the A/C is on and the engine is idling. I tried to call Conicelli Honda and explain what I am looking for to a parts guy and he doesn't know what I am looking for. I even gave him the part number that is on the solenoid itself (084860-7670) and he told me that he can't reference it. Please, if you guys can tell me exactly what is the correct name and by any chance give the part#, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

Old 05-30-2009, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

The only thing that I can think of that matches your description is the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve. It has two coolant lines going to it and a 3-pin electrical connector.

Looking from the front of the car, the IAC is bolted on the back of the upper piece of the intake manifold to the right of the throttle body. Its held in by two bolts. I attached a picture of the IAC.

The shop manual I referenced earlier has a blowup of the intake manifold on page 9-2. Its under engine>intake manifold. You should download that.

Last edited by PAhonda; 07-30-2009 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:09 AM
Alex450
Unregistered

The only thing that I can think of that matches your description is the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve. It has two coolant lines going to it and a 3-pin electrical connector.

Looking from the front of the car, the IAC is bolted on the back of the upper piece of the intake manifold to the right of the throttle body. Its held in by two bolts. I attached a picture of the IAC.

The shop manual I referenced earlier has a blowup of the intake manifold on page 9-2. Its under engine>intake manifold. You should download that.
__________________________________________________ _______

I checked the diagram on page 9-2 and found exactly what I was looking for. It is a Fuel Injection Air Control Solenoid Valve. When the engine is idling and A/C is on, it doesn nothing but increasing engine RPMs.

Thanks,
Alex