General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with 2003 Accord wipers & radio not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 12:43 AM
shirl1269
Unregistered
Default Help with 2003 Accord wipers & radio not working

Any suggestions for wipers on 2003 accord? just quit working & i have checked fuses & they are okay.
Also, while driving yesterday the lights on the radio display quit working - radio & cd player still work but can't read time, station, etc. and fuses are okay for this.
How long should you replace rear brakes? My car only has 37,000 miles on it & rear brake pads need to be replaced soon (like tomorrow). Shouldn't these last longer than this? My car has already had one recall on the brakes due to faulty pads, I'm just not sure if they replaced the front or rear.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shirl

Old 10-15-2005, 12:58 AM
Default RE: Help with 2003 Accord wipers & radio not working

Shirley,

First off, welcome aboard. I'm FAR from an expert but here is what I would check: There are two fuseboxes, one under the dash & one under the hood.
Check for a blown fuse OR a blown relay. A relay seems more likely since more than one item is kaput.

[IMG]local://upfiles/127/24187121E8A24967B199962D1172F614.gif[/IMG]

At 37K it IS time to replace the rear and possibly the front brakes also. It is not abnormal.

Old 10-15-2005, 09:13 PM

Hi, I don't know these cars well, really not at all but I did have one thing to think about with fuses. I had a fuse problem and did a visual check on the fuse and it looked good. After much searching and finding nothing wrong I went back with a OHM meter and found the fuse was bad after all. It's break was so small I couldn't see it so I'm wondering if you did this type of check on them. It's just something to keep in mind if you still can't find the problem.
With brakes I don't know how they wear on these types of cars. With front wheel drive cars that have the most weight in the front and with most cars anyway the front brakes do most of the stopping and wear out first usually. If it has ABS then I'm really in the dark as I just don't know how they work the brakes overall. I usually have to replace the fronts twice and the rears once on a kind of ratio basis but sence I've not owned this type of car yet I just can't say for sure if it holds true for yours. If your front's are fine and the rears are wearing out fast I'd wonder about it. It sounds too new to have the rear pistons binding if it's a rear disk type system. If drum and they worked on them I'd hope they adjusted them properly. I'd also wonder if the emergency brake is adjusted too tight and not letting it all the way free. Just something that comes to mind that could effect rear brakes wearing out faster than the front. If it didn't have ABS and the rear end locks up first under hard braking that would tell that they are working harder than they should. Good luck and hope it's really a normal function for these types of cars.
The miles brakes wear has too many varibles, if you live in citys or commute with it in stop and go driving, that can wear brakes faster than if you live in more of a country setting and don't have to constantly use the brakes so it's hard to judge how long brakes should normally last for a particular car.

Old 11-14-2005, 07:27 PM

I bought a new 2003 Honda Accord EX (4 cyl) in Jan of 2003. I just replaced the front brake pads at 100,000 miles. Sears said the rotors are good and the rear brakes are fine. The rears are original. It might not help you, but this was my experience. Good luck!!!

Old 11-14-2005, 09:30 PM

I have 55K hard miles on my car including two diferent trips to road courses and one trip to a drag strip and my rear brakes are OK. I have already replaced the front pads and have turned my rotors twice. The work you had done for bad pads is the front pads. The earlier sets had a tendancy to crack. Are you getting some noise from the rear brakes that make you think they need replaced? If it is pad thickness the rears start with less pad than the fronts.
As for the backlight on the hvac/radio there is an update. Take it to the dealer and see if they will fix it under warranty since you are barely out of warranty. If they won't go home and call Honda. They have been good willing a lot of them lately.
While you are at the dealer also see if they will check out your wipers. Good luck and sorry you are having so many problems.

Old 12-29-2005, 01:08 AM
fivespeedsport
Unregistered

Any luck with the wipers? I have just run into the same problem (well the wipers - no problem with the radio).

I have check all the fuses (under dash and under hood) with a "Probe" (from my car stereo installation days). All fuses are fine and I pulled each of the relays that are in the engine compartment fuse box and they all check out just fine (also, they are all listed for items other than wipers).

I was almost certain that it was a fuse at first, because they just quit. But then after another 10 minutes of driving, they came back on. They worked fine for a week and then same story. Now they are really dead.

So tonight I was rechecking fuses and trying to find the relay for the wipers and realized that when I flip the switch, there is a relay "click" under the hood but no wiper action and the click only happens when I first move the switch to a new position (does not keep clicking at the interval the wipers would normally operate). So I am wondering if there are multiple relays or a control board of sorts that operate the wiper motor.

When I called the dealership they said that they could not find the wiper relay and controls on their system but if I brought them the relay, they could get a new one for me. Gee thanks!

Anyway, ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 01-08-2006, 10:10 PM
shirl1269
Unregistered

Just wanted to let all know that my wiper motor is a goner. I have an appointment tomorrow to get the wiper motor replaced & they are replacing the radio as well. The service manager said there hasn't been any recalls for either one of these items. I find it very strange that several people are having the same problem & they won't do a recall.
Now my check engine light is on & they also said there is nothing on that as well. But I seem to remember that I received something about this in the mail but can't remember what it said. We used to receive coupons for oil changes & other services but in the last several months we haven't gotten anything.
Anyway hope this helps.

Old 01-09-2006, 04:00 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I am sorry to hear your having so many problems. The check engine light problem i would address immediately, im a little worried about your situation because i would like to believe that the techs at honda are all great mechanics, but in all reality some of them arnt. i definately believe that your wiper motor and radio went out and need to be replaced, but the reason behind that is definately THE issue. Current or amperage is what will blow out a fuse, but voltage is what will blow out your Headlights, radio, electric motors, etc.... if anything else wierd goes out, you may want to think about a new alternator. as far as the DTC, checker will check it for free if honda is trying to charge you. good luck with that. O and as far as your brake pads, I toast my pads every 10k. just depends on how your drive it.

lightshow

Old 01-13-2006, 08:13 PM
fivespeedsport
Unregistered

Mine was the wiper motor as well. I took it to the dealer because I did not want to order a part and it not fix the problem. They told me it was the wiper motor but wanted $350 to replace the motor. I griped a good bit about how it should be under warranty since that is a critical part and should not go out in two years and 50K miles. They just said that it is something that goes out from time to time.

Anyway, I told them where they could stick the $350, paid my $45 diagnostic charge, ordered a motor for $90 and put it in (took less than an hour with just my very basic tools).

Dealers are such a rip off.

Hope this helps anyone else whos wipers stop working.

Old 01-13-2006, 09:14 PM
shirl1269
Unregistered

I took mine on Monday & luckily I got the extended warranty on the car when I bought it. They replaced the wiper motor & replaced the radio. I also had them check my car out because the check engine light has been on & they also had to replace the oxygen sensor. While there they also told me that my third brake light was out & the bulb was $3.00 & wanted to charge me 5 times that to put it in. What's up with that? I told them to leave it alone & my husband would replace it.

Quick Reply: Help with 2003 Accord wipers & radio not working