General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with 97 accord that engine stopped while driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 08:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default help with 97 accord that engine stopped while driving

hi new member here hopeing to get some help , my wife was driving our 97 accord , its auto 4 cly , engine died while she was driving , now wont start at all , battery is good ,never had problem with car before , timeing belt was done on it , has 200,000 k s on it ,like any info if others had same problem that i can try to narrow it down before i get it towed to garage , tks.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

Turn the key to the II position, but do not try to start the car. When the check engine light turns on for the bulb check, the fuel pump should turn on for about two seconds. It is a faint buzzing/whirling sound that comes from the back seat, so turn off the radio, blower... and listen carefully. Let us know if this sound is missing.

You may also want to check for engine codes. See the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum for a link on how to check for codes.

Do you know when the spark plugs were last changed?

Old 07-10-2012, 11:14 PM

you need to check for spark when this happens. is it a hot only issue? has the car restarted since? have you tired? if not do it now. if it starts up it could be the main relay (problem spot #1) but you need to find out if its a fuel or spark issue

Old 07-11-2012, 12:42 AM

how long ago was the timing belt replaced?

Old 07-11-2012, 10:37 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default help with 97 accord that engine stopped while driving

i checked fuel pump , can hear noise when i turn key , so i say pump is good , dont know if spark plugs were ever changed ,i bought car used , was told timeing belt was done at 176,000 k s, right now when i turn key , engine does nothing , no crank at all , would engine crank if timeing belt was bad ,would it be bad distributor,like i said i turn key get nothing but lights on dash, and battery is good

Old 07-11-2012, 12:29 PM

sounds like a starter issue

Old 07-11-2012, 01:37 PM

ok try to stay with me im gona short hand this reply.
now when it 1st.died on u did the engine crank over?if yes it did an doesnt nemore then make sure battery is charged.
and if when it 1st.died and didnt crank over when u tried it check secondary ignition?(starter,alternator,ignition switch etc.)make sure battery cables,starter cables have "NO" loose connections?
ill keep lookn 4 ur reply 2 see where ur @

Old 07-11-2012, 06:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies

well wife was driving car when it happened , cant see it be starter as engine died while she was driving it , battery is good , everything works on it , like lights , radio

Old 07-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Newest Of Newbies

havent checked ignition switch , car sat for almost month and half before this just happened , mean i drove it 1 or 2 times , they wife dove it , and it just konked out while she was going down the street

Old 07-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies

just checked for spark and im getting spark

Quick Reply: help with 97 accord that engine stopped while driving