General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

help with accident

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 11:16 AM
evs
Default help with accident

Ok, long story... i was driving around 45 miles and this guy on the center lane decided to make an illegal U turn right when i was about to pass by. I basically slammed into the guy without having time to brake. When the police got there they found out the guy had supended license, no insurance and had a warrant for his arrest. The funny thing is that just 2 weeks ago i got into a minor accident and had my car repaired for $500.

Now, the police officer told me all i could do was take it to court since i only have PIP insurance and he didnt have insurance. The guy didnt want that and gave me a his phone number which luckily doesnt work!

Please give me some kind of orentation since its my first big accident.

Another thing, do you think i should sell my car to a junk yard (they give you 32% of what the car is worth) or should i try to fix it andsell it(I think ican fix it with $2000 since i know a really cheap body shop).

2 pics:

Old 11-13-2007, 11:20 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: help with accident

I'd say that the car's totaled and not worth fixing ...... 00Accord?!?

Old 11-13-2007, 11:32 AM
evs

Yeah i know, ive tried being positive because i didnt want to loose her. its a 99 btw.

Any other ideas?!

Old 11-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

OMG I feel so bad for you man..

A friend just rearended me, and I'm having a hard time with that, I can't imagine what you're going through!

The police should have gotten some real information about the guy, and should be able to provide you with some of this valid info.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:00 PM

Do you have Uninsured Motorist Coverage on your insurance policy? As far as I know, PIP is for injuries, not property damage (Personal Injury Protection). But I am unsure of this as we do not have PIP in Mississippi. I will research that for you and get back to you though.
You need to let your insurance company handle the claim for you. They will take care of the car and sell the salvage. DO NOT dispose of the car before they look at it.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:08 PM
evs

thanks for the replies...

i called my insurance company today and they told me i have to handle the case on my own.
What my insurance has is personal injury protection coverage and property damage coverage.

what im trying to do right now is contact someone in the police department that can give me info. about this guy.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:29 PM

So do you mean you only have PIP and Liability coverage? No Collision or Uninsured Motorist Coverage?
I don't want your insurance company to give you the run around.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:34 PM
evs

Correct, I do not have Collision or Uninsured Motorist Coverage.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:49 PM

So I'm going to have to assume that your car is paid off? I don't know of any states that will allow liability only (what you have) if there is a loan on the car.

1) Start compling all the information, photos, times and dates of EVERYTHING. Write it all down, get 3 estimates, and keep track of the time it takes you to do all of this. Then sue him for your car and all the time (X Hours times your current hourly wage) you spend working on it as well as attorney costs. If you and this guy are going to "work something out" have an attorney draw up a contract. DO NOT just do some random conversation and hand-shake. Also, if/when you speak to him have a friend/witness present, both of you should write down exactly what you rember being said in the conversation. DO NOT conduct a single transaction with this guy without some form of documentation.

2) Ask your current or next insurance company how much the cost difference is between Liability and Full Coverage. If we're talking $20.00 a month then carry full coverage or AT LEAST un-insured motorist. The only vehicle I have without full coverage is my 81 civic because it's worth about what my deductable is.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:14 PM

Do try to seek this guy out and do all that sir_nasty said. that was good advice anf the insurance guy approves of it all.
However, do not get your hopes up that this guy is going to pay. If he didn't pay for insurance on his own car, I doubt he is going to be able to pony up the $ to replace yours.
Even if you sue him, and get a judgement against him, he STILL may not even pay. He will probably just file for bankrupcy and get away scott free.
There is a saying one of my college insurance professors used to s tell us: "You can't squeeze blood from a turnip."
Good luck on getting paid. But don't spend too much more money trying to get it out of this guy. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses.

Quick Reply: help with accident