General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help. Accident... what do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 12:47 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Help. Accident... what do I do?

Since a third party called in the license plate of the truck, you have a good chance of winning this case. It is now in the best interest of the truck rental company to help find the driver's insurance to process the claim. With the license plate # on file, until the rental company can say who was using the truck, it is their responsibility. Since the accident was not your fault and there was at least one witness that fealt so inclined to report the truck's plate, your rate should not go up ..... Jon (00Accord) please correct me if any of this is wrong.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:50 PM

Well I'm not trying to give you bad news but I want to give you a heads up on what happened to me in a similar situation (different state so laws may be different). I was driving down the road (4 lane 2 going each way) with a center turn lane, a truck going the other direction in the far left hand side and he cut accross every lane and tried to turn into a gas station in front of me, I swerved to miss him and caught his right rear corner panel behind his tire, he started to slide, hit the curb which kept him straight, drove into the gas station, turned around and took off, my friend who saw the whole thing happen turned around and chased him down, got his plate number, reported it all to the police and I got nothing. The reason was that he didn't have insurance on the truck and I couldn't prove that he was driving.

Can you prove that you were avoiding the trailer when you got in the accident?

Old 10-30-2007, 10:46 AM

So I have some sort of good news.

The Rental company lady (same one I spoke to) called me today. She said that the police department contacted her and they decided to submit a claim. Although they can't figure out who owns the dolly. I guess... maybe the truck driver bought insurance with them???

But I should be receiving a call from an adjuster. I'm guessing this is sort of good?

Old 10-30-2007, 11:26 AM

That is much better than nothing.
1st things first. Were you injured at all? Sore neck, sore back, headaches, etc..?
2nd, the rental company may be responsible for payment if the driver did not have his own autoinsurance.
Let us know what the adjuster says.
If they try to deny it, you may need to get a lawyer or take up the matter on your own in small claims court. The reason Isuggested small claims court is if you were not injured, a lawyer will likely not take your case because there wouldn't be any money in it for them. Unless you have a friend that is a lawyer and would help you out.
One last thing:do not be shocked if they try to deny the claim since the dolly didn't actually strike your car. Some companies will try this. In my insurance opinion, they still owe it. My company would pay the damages. We have actually had a claim almost exactly like this one before (a dolly fell off a truck and 2 or 3 cars were damaged either directly by it, or damaged avoiding it)- we paid the claim.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: projecthenry

... Although they can't figure out who owns the dolly. I guess... maybe the truck driver bought insurance with them???
Clearly, the truck rental company ABSOLUTELY KNOWS who rented the truck. Have you ever tried to rent a truck without showing any ID to the rental company?

Normally a truck losing part of it's load on the highway is avery serious offense. I bet the police will not be amused if the rental companyrefuses to tell them who was renting the truck.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:38 AM

I have a sore neck, it's very minor but I don't think it's from the accident.

I will let you guys know what the adjuster says.

The dolly might have hit me on the right most side of my car. I vaguely remember what exactly happened.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:45 PM

my gf had an incident once while she was at a car rental place, her brother's car (who took her there) parked outside and another client who rented a mini-van hit their car without knowing. Off course the driver of the mini van took off, but they reported it to the rental car company and they took care of it.

I'm sure if you have a license and have evidence that a dolly is missing from the truck im sure 1+1 = 2. Next time, let the darn thing hit your car.. you will than be guaranteed to get some $$$.

I use to live in WA and now they've passed a law that says all things must be secured or they will ticket the truck. A lady got hit by falling debree and that's why that law has passed. Off course she's now blinded for life but she gots lots of money from it.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:51 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

I live right by the State Farm headquarters...GIGANTIC. Ill run over there and demand to them that they pay you! lol

But good luck. Hopefully they dont screw you out of money.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:20 PM

I don't think it's State Farm who's gonna pay you (unless I understand you incorrectly), its who ever the rental company is issured by. If all fails, you can always SUE'EM! it's the American way.. ahaha I would.

If you have sufficent eye witness, I don't see why you won't be able to get money at least for medical/damages to your vehicle.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:24 PM

As I stated earlier, no lawyer will take that case unless you have injuries. Lawyers will not take cases for property damage only, unless it is a large amount of money involved.
Therefore, unless you are going to file suit on your own, you cannot sue unless you take it to small claims court yourself.
Or you could go ahead and hire a lawyer and start racking up some medical bills.

Quick Reply: Help. Accident... what do I do?