General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!: Can't find Main relay in 87 carbureted car

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Default Help!: Can't find Main relay in 87 carbureted car

Hi, I'm in serious need of some help. I have an 87 Accord LX, carberator car. About a month back, it wouldn't start: no click, no nothing, power is fine. It was getting power from the ignition, so I assumed the starter solenoid went out. I replaced the starter, and the car worked fine for about two weeks. Then last night i drive it for about an hour, turn it off for about 5 min and go to start it. Guess what? won't start, same as before.Though the power seems to work fine, I thought maybe the battery is low( it is a nearly brand new battery) so I attempted to jump it from another car. Still nothing. I do alittle research on this site and see that the main relay is prone to going out. So here is the kicker, I can't find the thing to take it out. I do tons of research, even go out and buy a Haynes Repair manual, and everything points to the same place: up and under the dash, to the left of the steering column, right of the hood release. Everyone I have talked to says it is way up into the car, but I feel I went as far up into the car as I can. I removed the two bolts holding the fuse box on and disconnected a couple of contections so that the fuel box hangs down. I still see nothing.

I suspect that the main relay everyone keeps sending me after is only there in fuel injected cars. If that is the case, what is the problem? Maybe the fuel pump cut off relay on the back of the fuse box? I don't know. Any specific help would be much appreciated, Thanks in advance.

Last edited by pariah.stevo.52; 07-08-2011 at 02:30 PM. Reason: my sig isn't displaying. I think this will help.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Hold on. When you go to start the car, does the starter spin the engine?

Old 07-08-2011, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Does starter click when keyswitch is turned or absolute silence?

I don't think this model has a main fuel relay and it would not affect the starter in any case.

good luck

Old 07-08-2011, 08:56 PM

The starter does not spin at all. Absolute silence. I just replaced the starter that has worked for 2 weeks. Very unlikely it is the solenoid.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

To verify, check if you get 12V to the small wire going to the starter when someone turns the key to the start position.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Please do as suggested.....a carb'd 3rd gen (dx or lx) does NOT have a main relay as the FI (LXi) models do....so a no start on this, NOT the main relay.

Is this a stick or auto trans?

Old 07-09-2011, 11:12 AM

It is an automatic. Sorry about my info, for some reason I can't get my sig to display. In summary:

1987 Honda Accord LX
carbureted
Automatic Trans.
4 door

Wow, I can't believe there is no main relay. I spent 3 hours upside-down on my head yesterday looking for it. My neck still hurts.

I will check to see if I am getting 12 V to that wire, then get back to ya'll.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

To display your signature:

User CP
Settings & Options
Edit Options
Thread Display Options (towards the bottom)- there is a check box for "show signature".

Let us know what the wire (small one) reads. Also check the connections to be sure they are clean and tight.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:46 PM

Fixed it. Very embarrassing. The wire going to the starter had shaken loose. Stupid me. I just assumed it was something complicated and never checked the easy stuff. My bad. Thanks for all the help.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Hey no worries, we've all been there before, at least I have....glad you got it and good luck with that 3rd gen.

Quick Reply: Help!: Can't find Main relay in 87 carbureted car