General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

help car cranks has spark and fuel but wont start?

Old 01-23-2008, 09:16 PM
fastdart360
Unregistered
Default help car cranks has spark and fuel but wont start?

I have a 1998 accord v6 ex went out to start the car and the battery was dead , so i replaced the battery with a brand new one its was about time any way, and before replacing the battery the car was running fine and cranked up,
WELL now it will crank over but not run , i checked spark at the plug wires and it has spark, i did spray a little starter fulid in the TB with the butter fly open to see if it had fuel or not to see if it would crank, but it still wont run. any help would be appercaited thanks

call me if you can help andy 478-228-4381

Old 01-24-2008, 10:33 AM
Default RE: help car cranks has spark and fuel but wont start?

Has it ever cranked (an ran) with the new battery in? Does it try to crank over and over as if there is nothing wrong with the battery? Or does it sluggishly try as if the battery is dead?

Old 01-24-2008, 10:47 AM

ORIGINAL: fastdart360

I have a 1998 accord v6 ex went out to start the car and the battery was dead , so i replaced the battery with a brand new one its was about time any way, and before replacing the battery the car was running fine and cranked up,
WELL now it will crank over but not run , i checked spark at the plug wires and it has spark, i did spray a little starter fulid in the TB with the butter fly open to see if it had fuel or not to see if it would crank, but it still wont run. any help would be appercaited thanks

call me if you can help andy 478-228-4381
How did you verify that it was getting fuel? when you turn the car to the "on" position wait a few seconds and listen for the fuel pump to come on and pressurize, you may need a second set of ears to do this easily, also, make sure your connections are tight on the battery.... when you say you checked spark at the wires what did you use to test it?

Old 01-24-2008, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

No kick-over w/ starter fluid suggests either no fuel (check fuel pump runs as suggested), or your spark may be too weak to ignite the fuel.

You can check crudely for fuel pressure by cracking the banjo bolt at the end of the fuel rail. A good spray of fuel should result.

Try using a timing light to check the spark while turning engine over w/ battery. If the timing light will not flash, the spark is too weak for startup.

good luck

Old 01-24-2008, 04:54 PM
fastdart360
Unregistered

Ok now i know the car has no fuel pressure at the banjo fitting and the fuel pump isnt cutting on, i did test the yellow wire going into the trunk fuel tank acess door for power and it has power when the ing swicth is cut on, so i guess its the fuel pump right?

and can you replace the pump through that door with out pulling the gas tank out?

Old 01-24-2008, 05:36 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

access panel is in the trunk under the carpet in the coupe. I would guess the sedan is in the same place. use wooden or brass tools only.........

Old 01-24-2008, 06:04 PM
fastdart360
Unregistered

ok now this is where im at , i can almost no for sure its the fuel pump now, I took it off my trailer and took the cover off the access plate in the trunk and every now and then if i click the ingintion swicth off and on a few times the pump may come on maybe one time but then if i cut the key off and try it again it wont cut back on, until i cycle the key about 10 or times so what do you think fuel pump and like i said i tested the yellow wire and it has power when the key is cut on.

thanks for ya'lls help

Old 01-24-2008, 06:23 PM

if it has power EVERY time but is only pressurizing on occasion then it has to be the pump... consistent power means the ignition and main relay are fine, it's not moving so I highly doubt it's a ground issue (might be worth a look though...) so that leaves the pump...

How are you verifying that the pump comes on? Is it that you hear it pressurize? If so then I'd say your diagnostics all point to the pump based on the condition that is has power...

Old 01-24-2008, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Just because it's intermittent doesn't prove whether it's the pump vs the main relay.

If the yellow wire has power every time, EVEN WHEN THE PUMP DOESN'T RUN; then the pump is bad.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:31 PM

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

Just because it's intermittent doesn't prove whether it's the pump vs the main relay.

If the yellow wire has power every time, EVEN WHEN THE PUMP DOESN'T RUN; then the pump is bad.
Exactly, and we can't stress that enough. If the fuel pump EVER fails to get power it could be something else. If it ALWAYS has power but doesn't ALWAYS run then the pump is shot

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: help car cranks has spark and fuel but wont start?