General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help car wont start!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Default Help car wont start!

1995 accord ex 4cyl vtech..
The car wont start it turns over but has a different sound to it when turning over. Have a charged battery, hear the fuel pump kick on when key is on. Could it be the starter or would it be more of a timing distributor issue? Thanks in advance.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Describe the "different sound"... Does it spin too-fast when you try to start it? That makes me think of a broken timing belt (bad bad news). Normally you hear the starter working against the compression, but with bent valves it just spins fast. Kinda like the same sound as if you had removed all 4 spark plugs.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:28 PM

Well the sound just sounds like a hesitation of some sort kind of like it has two speeds hi/lo, goes eehh eehh eeeehhh eeehhh eehh eehh. lol

Old 11-04-2009, 03:30 PM

I just checked one of the spark plugs for spark and didnt see any spark??

Old 11-04-2009, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Lack of spark would certainly cause it to NOT start. That's a whole lot less serious then a broken timing belt.

Got battery voltage at the black/yellow wire at the distributor?
Check for spark at the other wires too?

Old 11-05-2009, 12:10 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Lack of spark would certainly cause it to NOT start. That's a whole lot less serious then a broken timing belt.

I agree with u Jim but could still be a broken t-belt
broken timing belt you get no spark..........

remove the oil filler cap.have someone crank the engine and see if the rocker arms move up and down ,,, if they do t-belt is not broken ,,,,if they don;t most likely broken t-belt,, if you cannot tell remove the distr cap and see if the rotor spins
if t-belt is ok,, you need to test the coil and igniter

Old 11-05-2009, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, verify the valves are working. Maybe I shouldn't have given false hope?

Old 11-05-2009, 09:58 PM

ok guys so im still having same problems here is what i did so far, took off the oil cap and the rockers are moving, changed the control module and the coil also still same thing no spark. I havent checked voltage because my meter is broken so im hoping to get a new one maybe tomorrow..What else could it be im pulling out my hair over here!

Old 11-06-2009, 03:19 AM
Super Moderator

Test the blk/yel wire for 12V with the key in the II position. If no voltage, then probably the ignition switch.

Also check for any codes stored in the ECU. Use a piece of wire or a thin paperclip to short the connector.

See http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html

Old 11-06-2009, 03:51 PM

I checked for voltage on blk/ylw wire have 12v, also have voltage on all other wires on icm and coil..also i checked the code with the shorting method and got 15-ignition output signal missing or defective ignition output signal...what would this mean where does this signal come from??

Quick Reply: Help car wont start!