General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help with Distributor rotor screw breaking

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 02:40 PM
zairas
Unregistered
Default Help with Distributor rotor screw breaking

Its a 01 accord ex 4cyl vtec, I'm changing out the distributor rotor at the moment and when tightening the screw for the rotor the top of the screw broke off. Here is the dilemma the rotor is assembled horizontally as is the distributor cap....so when I try to remove the rotor the screw is in the way but the rotor moves horizontally slightly left and right but wont come off (I've really tried hard to remove the rotor)So is this a problem if I assemble everything back together or should I try and remove the broken screw with a drill and tap?

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...UTOR+%28TEC%29
This is a website for the assembly of the rotor and distributor cap the screw that broke off is #9

Last edited by zairas; 10-18-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You need to get the broken screw out. You have a good chance of getting it out with vise grips if you can get the rotor out depending on why it broke to begin with. Assuming it is not cross threaded and you just over torqued it. I would cover the area below the rotor with something to prevent the broken pieces from getting into the distributor and find a way to break the rotor. You have to be careful not to damage the shaft the rotor attaches to but the rotor is pretty soft and breaks easily.

Last edited by kris_loehr; 10-18-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:26 PM
zairas
Unregistered

What would be the problem if I left it the way it is? Im pretty sure I over torqued it. If i brake the rotor off how would I get the screw off with the vise grips

Old 10-18-2009, 06:19 PM

The tension or torque on the screw is from the screw head clamping down on the rotor. If the rotor is taken off there will be stub sticking out of the screw to get vise grips on and no tension on the screw. Where this doesn’t work is a screw or bolt is broken off from bottoming out in the hole or the seized to the threads like from rust. I don’t know if leaving the screw as is will make a difference as many rotors don’t have a screw holding them on. Drilling and tapping is hard to do as it is hard to find the center to start drilling and screws can be hard to drill.

You do have the chance of the screw coming out and damaging the dist. as with the head broken off there is no tension on the screw.

Last edited by kris_loehr; 10-18-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:52 AM
zairas
Unregistered

well I got the screw out and put the new screw in.I had to remove the whole distributor. I put everything back together but the car wont start. wires are in the correct position I labeled them before hand so I wouldnt mess up the order. I'm getting a spark, we pulled one of the sparkplugs out to check. Is there a timing issue with the distributor if so what do I need to do to fix that.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:05 AM
Super Moderator

Check that you put the spark plug wires on the distributor cap in the correct order.

There is a chance that you put the distributor in 180 degrees off. If turn the crankshaft so the engine is at TDC, the rotor should be pointing to the #1 cylinder spark plug contact on the distributor cap.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:12 AM

I am pretty sure you can install the dist. 180 Degrees off if the end is just a blade like a screwdriver. That is the one I am familiar with. If the rotor is facing the same way as you removed it than you just need to have the dist. close for the timing using the adjustment slot. To check you bring number one cylinder on the compression stoke and line up the timing marks for TDC and check that the rotor is facing number one cylinder. You check the compression stroke by removing the number one spark plug and have someone tap the key and you will feel pressure coming out of the hole. The timing mark lines up twice once for the compression stroke and once for the exhaust stroke.

Last edited by kris_loehr; 10-19-2009 at 03:19 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

The ones Ive seen, the blade on the distributor shaft is off-center. Look closely at the blade and the slot in the end of the camshaft, you'll see that it's off-center. If you hammer on it, you can get it in backwards. It'll slide in nicely if its the right way round.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:36 PM

I have never tried to install one 180 off so I only know what I read on here which is that you can if you force it. To be safe I offered a way to know for sure which is checking that the rotor is lined up with number cylinder when it is on TDC of the compression stoke. You can also find TDC of the compression stoke by taking off the top timing chain cover and lining up the marks per the manual but I think you have to remove the valve cover. If you pulled the spark plug wires you may want to verify that you have them in the right order.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:05 PM
zairas
Unregistered

Thanks alot guys for all the help! I really appreciate it. I got the s.o.b fixed finally. More pain and work than what I wanted but oh well I save 150 bucks not taking it to the dealer.

Quick Reply: Help with Distributor rotor screw breaking