General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! EGR Valve is alledgedly "bad" again

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 10:53 PM
Resatimm
Unregistered
Default Help! EGR Valve is alledgedly "bad" again

3 months ago, my accord's check engine light came on -- i didn't recall the code it generated, but it was insufficient EGR flow. I disconnected and removed the EGR valve, to see lots of carbon build up on the business part of the valve. I cleaned it as best I could and put it back in. Lo and behold, 2 weeks later, the engine light came on again. I reset the code, and it would come on daily after that. I finally replaced the EGR valve with a brand new one. Engine light came on last week, same code "Insufficient EGR Flow". I reset the code and it did not come back on until today. Same code message. "Insufficient EGR Flow".

Does anyone know why an EGR valve would go bad twice in two months? Lets assume that the EGR valve i bought is *NOT* defective. I am open to suggestions!

Thanks

Mike

(in case my SIG does not work, Honda Accord 2000, EX V6)

Old 06-13-2006, 11:58 PM
Default RE: Help! EGR Valve is alledgedly "bad" again

It might be possible that the EGR valve is not recieving a signal to open. I'm pretty sure that the EGR valve in your car does not run on vacuum. When you were replacing the EGR valve, did you notice any vacuum hoses? Do you know the exact code that your car is throwing (code number).

Old 06-14-2006, 12:30 AM
Resatimm
Unregistered

The EGR valve is a standalone device that sits atop the engine under the plastic trim, with nothing attached to it except the wires for power. No vacuum hoses. The code is P0401 "Insufficient EGR Flow"

Old 06-14-2006, 01:02 AM

The way the EGR usually works is that there is an EGR solenoid. The solenoid has a vacuum line coming from the engine and the PCM controls the solenoid. When the solenoid is open, it sends engine vacuum to the EGR valve causing the valve to open and allow exhaust gas to enter the IM. It seems that your car does not have an EGR solenoid or any vacuum lines from what i've looked at on the car database i use. I suspect that the PCM sends the EGR a signal and a solenoid opens the EGR valve. What you need to do is find a way to open the EGR valve. I would think that you could find the power and ground terminals on the EGR valve connector and hook up a 12 V battery and ground the connector. If the engine starts shaking (at idle) and running badly, then the EGR valve is opening and working properly. This would mean that the computer is not sending the EGR valve a signal to open. The problem is going to be which wires/pins do what on the connector.

Pin 1: Wht/blk (EGR Lift valve sensor output)
Pin 2: Grn/Blk (sensor ground)
Pin 3: Yel/Blu (reference voltage)
Pin 4: Pnk (EGR valve control output)
Pin 5:
Pin 6: BLK (G101)

It seems that pins 1-3 are for the lift sensor so these prolly won't open the valve. If you hook up pins 4 (pos) and 6 (neg/ground) to the battery this SHOULD open the EGR valve. You car should idle rough. I looked up the code you have, P0401, and this is the testing procedure. You have to disconnect the connector going to the EGR valve and then connect the 2 pins to the battery (a 12v batt should also work). Post your results, either myself or someone else should be able to help.

Old 06-14-2006, 04:11 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

there is a problem with the porting on the egr for those years. it isnt the egr itself but the lines that run from the manifold to the egr. if you want to do the fix yourself you need to get the kit from honda. agent im surprised you dont know about the tsb on this one.

to get it done at the dealership it is like 200 bucks, they drill larger holes in the manifold and install larger diameter lines to the egr. it is a problem on all 98-02 j30 honda sohc v6 motors. until you do this, your check engine light will continue to come on.

Old 06-14-2006, 05:10 AM

there is a service bulletin on this from Honda ..99-085, Honda has extended the warranty up to 8 years or 80,000 miles ,,
I bet you had a code p0401..( egr system flow ..) Anyho if your car is within these #s , call the dealer , they will fix it free of charge ..

Make sure to mention the bulletin # 99-085 dated OCT 2001 ,,
You should have gotten a letter from honda

Old 06-14-2006, 09:25 AM
Resatimm
Unregistered

Service bulletin doesn't mean "recall". I cant find this as a recall on a 2000 Accord... I have under 80,000 miles, but I know that I'll have to fight if it isnt a true recall. Is there any documentation on this bulletin? I've searched, and cant find anything official!

Thanks

Mike

Old 06-14-2006, 10:38 AM

ORIGINAL: Resatimm

Service bulletin doesn't mean "recall". I cant find this as a recall on a 2000 Accord... I have under 80,000 miles, but I know that I'll have to fight if it isnt a true recall. Is there any documentation on this bulletin? I've searched, and cant find anything official!

Thanks

Mike

i DO NOT give informations unless i know what i am talking about,,, like i said ,Honda extended the warranty on this issue for up to 8 years or 80,000 miles,, next move is up to you ..

bulletin # 99-085

Old 06-14-2006, 12:14 PM
Resatimm
Unregistered

Desert, I competely believe that you know what you are talking about. That is not in dispute! I just didn't want to walk into a Honda Dealer sans a letter talking about this service bulletin, and bring up this fact! What's stopping them from saying "Wheres your letter?" or "I don't know what you are talking about, get lost?" Hence I was hoping there was something I could print and have in my hand to argue them with. I have rarely had a good experience dealing with *any* honda dealership, whether in Canada or the US. Its almost unfortunate I wouldn't drive anything but a honda, because their service blows!

Old 06-14-2006, 12:22 PM

if they ask for the letter tell them you lost it,,
they are not going to say i don't know what you are talking about.......

How about this......... call them and tell them that anothwer shop told you about the bulletin , and that the issue you have is covered 8 yrs or up to 80,000 miles ..and that you should take it to the dealer to have the work done free of charge ..

what do you got to lose ??

Quick Reply: Help! EGR Valve is alledgedly "bad" again