General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help Honda accord 2003 sedan 4cyl 4 dr

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 11:55 PM
Default Help Honda accord 2003 sedan 4cyl 4 dr

I had check engine light and it showed p0325 code which says knock sensor. I changed knock sensor but still the check engine light is on. I don;t know whats wrong and I am worried as I don't want to get rip off by mechanic. After reading many reviews I found that sometimes there is knock sensor wiring problems which is sub wire/wire harness but when I thought to get one I am still unable to get knock sensor wiring for my model car as some says I have to buy whole wire harness which seems it will cost me more than 700 dollar. Can anyone help me what will be the problem or does what is the name of knock sensor wire harness for this model car. I searched online, they only have for honda accord 2003 v6 4 dr and 2 dr but mine is 4dr 4 cylinder honda accord 2003 sedan.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

What trim level is this (e.g., DX, LX, EX)? Also, auto or manual transmission?

Old 09-10-2013, 01:11 PM
Default lx

It is LX automatic honda accord 4cyl 4 dr silver.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

1. Was there some work done previously near the knock sensor before you got the P0325 code, such as replacement of starter and broke off the knock sensor?
  2. If knock sensor was not previously broken, did you check that the harness connector was firmly connected to the OEM knock sensor before replacement? Regardless, check for poor connection or loose terminals at the knock sensor.
  3. Is the replacement knock sensor OEM or aftermarket?
  4. For the 4 cylinder Accord, Honda does not just have the separate knock sensor wire harness like for the V6 (which retails for $6.32). For your 4 cylinder, the knock sensor harness connector is part of the starter subwire, Honda part number 32111-RAD-L60, which retails for $110.52, cheaper via internet Honda dealer for about $80 new. It is a set and comes with all the clips, holders, bolts, nut, etc. It is a little bit of work replacing that sub-harness, as it connects to the positive battery terminal, etc. The starter subwire set is #2 in the parts diagram.

You can always buy a used starter subwire by itself for less. However, even replacing this sub-wire harness may not solve the problem, if the issue is with the wiring at the ECM/PCM. In addition, it may not even be a wiring issue.

Examine the wire harness for chewed up wires, rodent chew on the knock sensor wiring was prevalent more on the V6. Honda even had a replacement knock sensor wire harness with rodent deterrent tape (capsaicin pepper) for various Honda V6 models. For rats, etc. the area/location of the knock sensor for the V6 seem like a popular spot for them to crawl into.

Attached Thumbnails Help Honda accord 2003 sedan 4cyl 4 dr-engine-wire-harness-l4-465602.jpg   Help Honda accord 2003 sedan 4cyl 4 dr-knock-sensor-p0325.jpg  

Last edited by redbull-1; 09-10-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:54 PM

Hi,

Firstly, Thank you and really appreciate for your feedback.

I did change the starter and alternator. After that there came knock sensor code and I changed the knock sensor too. After changing knock sensor, car was running better than before but check engine light was still on and giving same code p0325.

Mechanic during that time told me there was some wire burn near alternator so he told it was fixed in ecu parts so i doubt it is not problems with ecu. During that time, i went to another mechanic and he told me there is wiring problem and it cost $640 and I don't believe him as I just changed and there should not be whole ecu wiring problem as code shows there is something wrong in knock sensor or wiring near knock sensor.

I think i will try to unplug and plug knock sensor and starter wire and see if there is any connector loose and if not i think there must be problem with wire. Thank you for letting me know that knock sensor wire is connected with starter which will helped me lot, as I thought all honda has sub wire like v6 but unluckily my model wire seems to be attached with starter.

I will try to diagnose these problem and definitely let you know what happen.

Once again thank you for your comments which really helped me a lot.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

The knock sensor wire is part of the harness; but, not connected to the starter.