General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help, I cannot see the road at night?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 08:22 PM
Default Help, I cannot see the road at night?

Hi Guys,

I recently just got my 94 Accord, and while I was driving at night I cannot see the lines between each road and the glare from other cars makes it impossible. I usually have to have my High Beam on to get a bit of visibility, but it's not enough.

I recently just got my license, so please help me. It makes me not want to drive at night.

Also, should I just get an HID kit? It's quite expensive but I'm willing to make the sacrifice for my safety.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

ENOUGH already....yes I deleted the posts.

OP-The lights need to be inspected, old bulbs or poor ground could cause them not to "light" up as they should. Are the lenses clean and clear? New set of bulbs? There is adjustment that can be done to properly aim the lights.....sounds strange but also be sure the windshield is clean-inside and out. Please don't drive with the high beams on all the time, you are causing issues for the "other" drivers on the road.

Then, I'll do this the best I can. Have someone else drive the car at night and see what they say....do you have this issue driving a different car at night...if so then ????

Driving at night brings an added level of danger....

Attached Thumbnails Help, I cannot see the road at night?-5th-gen-headlight-adjustment.jpg  
Old 11-20-2011, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

And I just saw this same post on another site...one where I would have expected to see the responses that were initally given here (before I deleted them)......they actually tried to help the poster.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:54 AM

FYI, I did try to help.

It is not unreasonable to recommend an eye exam. The poster sounds like he/she might be suffering from a "contrast sensitivity" condition described here:
Night Vision and Driving: How Safe Are Older Drivers?

I know this is an Accord forum, but driving is a serious business and I see a need to bring this recommendation to this poster's attention.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Understood, there was enough on BOTH sides. I just wanted to calm it down (no one got banned or any infractions). Notice where I suggested someone else drive the car at night for another perspective or the OP drive a different car to see if the issue is the car.

I understand the dangers of driving (night or day) all to well...the other Mod's and close friends know what I'm talking about.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:57 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I too meant no disrespect by my posts. It felt motivated to inform the OP of the serious nature of situation brought to this forum...That being inability to see the road clearly at night. My concern is genuine and I hope the situation can be addressed and resolved safely.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

The point regarding vision may be valid. Vision is also about light gathering ability. If you see well enough during the day; but, have problems at night, it may be indicative of vision problems and may not be solely due to lighting from the car. Yes, proper aim of the headlights and bright bulbs will help; but, make sure your vision is okay.

Are the lenses on the car cloudy?

Afternarket HIDs are illegal and in many cases cause glare to others, especially other drivers who may have vision problems. A legal alternative is Philips 9012 HIR bulbs. But, you have to modify the base to fit.

"http://store.candlepower.com/ph3rdge90h.html"

Old 11-21-2011, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

To the original poster, do you have problems driving other cars at night? Is the plastic on your headlight hazy?

Old 12-12-2011, 09:17 PM

thanks for the response guys. I bought the car to a local honda dealership and they told me that I need to get the light cleaned because the lens is dirty. Also they told me that the lights were not aligned properly.

I've done both, got the lens cleaner at Canadian Tire and got someone from Honda to to the Allignment for $20.

I'm seeing the road much better now, and I have a lot of confidence in driving at night. Thanks

Old 12-12-2011, 09:43 PM

Also, does anyone know how to turn the Fog Lights on for a 1994 Accord Ex 4 DR. Or how to change the bulb if it's out.

Quick Reply: Help, I cannot see the road at night?