General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

help me plz... 1990 honda accord

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 01:21 PM
Default help me plz... 1990 honda accord

I just bought a 90 accord and it's over heating. Changed the thermostat still over heating. Had to change the radiator hose it busted while I was driving. Also the heater doesn't work and I checked all fuses. When I stop one of the fans on the radiator works the other does nothing.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like two separate issues.

1. Which fan doesn't work (drivers side or passenger side)?

2. No heat may be due to heater valve or clogged heater core. When you turn the heater control inside, take a look whether the heater valve in the engine compartment moves (the valve is at the back of the engine compartment).

Also, when the car is warmed up, feel the hoses on both sides of the heater valve. Check after the engine is turned off. Are they hot?

Old 02-20-2015, 03:36 PM

Which hose busted? Upper or lower?

Old 02-20-2015, 04:21 PM

The drivers side fan is the one that doesn't work. And how can I tell if the heater core is clogged will that make the motor not come on at all?

Old 02-20-2015, 04:24 PM

The top hose is the one that busted. And thanks for replying I need all the help I can get as I'm trying to fix this car on my own.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

It may or may not be a clogged heater core. A clogged heater won't affect the fan motor. There may be more than one issue.

1. When you turn the heater control inside, take a look whether the heater valve in the engine compartment moves (the valve is at the back of the engine compartment). -- See image.

2. Feel the heater hoses before and after the valve. Feel the outlet hose to see if it is hot.

3. The fan motor on the driver's side should be A/C condenser fan. Disconnect the electrical connector to the motor and provide direct power (+) and ground (-) the motor side. Use some spare wire like speaker wire. Positive battery power (+) to the motor's Blue/Black wire and body or battery ground (-) to the motor's Black wire to see if it runs, (Blue/Black wire has blue colored insulation with a black stripe running through it.) Having the A/C condenser fan working will help cooling.

Attached Thumbnails help me plz... 1990 honda accord-heater-hoses.jpg  
Old 02-20-2015, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

Also, when the car is sufficiently cooled, remove the radiator cap and check the coolant level to see if it is up to the neck of the radiator.

In addition, the separate reservoir coolant level should be filled to the max line when cold.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:21 PM

I hooked the fan directly to the battery and it worked so I guess I'm going to put a toggle switch on it. Also when I move the heater switch the cable thing under the hood moves. I just don't understand I can't drive like 2 miles and the car is all the way hot the over flow thing for the coolent is full I gotta usually add a little water before the next time I drive it. I'm lost

Old 02-22-2015, 02:47 AM

The motor could be so gunked up with crap from someone never changing the coolant that coolant isn't able to do it's job. How dirty does it look? Also, yes make sure the fan is working. As far as no heat goes, could be heater control valve stuck on cold or again totally gunked up coolant system. Sorry man.

Oh edit: I have seen thermostats be bad. If you've checked the things I said take the thermostat out and put it in a pot on the stove with water in it and heat up the water. If it doesn't open by the time it boils it's bad.

Last edited by HighwayStar; 02-22-2015 at 02:53 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:02 AM
Super Moderator

The driver's side fan is called the a/c condenser fan. A/C condenser fan is just a name, because both fans should turn on when the engine temp rises above a certain temperature. In other words, the a/c condenser fan doesn't only turn on when the a/c is turned on.

Not sure if you are good with electrical testing... If the fan isn't getting power, then work backwards and test at the relay electrical connector. I am not sure where the relay is located on the 90 accord, but I think it is bolted to the a/c condenser fan shroud.

The temperature rising that quickly could be a head gasket issue. There is a combustion gas test you can do on an open radiator that will change colors if you have combustion gas leaking into the coolant.