General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help overriding an alarm kill switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 12:00 PM
Default Help overriding an alarm kill switch

I have a 95 honda accord V6 automatic

I had Best Buy install a Viper 350hv alarm in the car in 9/2011. 6 months later the locks went crazy locking and unlocking... Best Buy said it was my car and my mechanic said it was the alarm. I removed the fuse for the locks and have been manually locking the car since.
10/2013 I couldn't get the car to start after it sitting for 1 day (my day off). I had a mechanic look it over and we changed the fuel filter, fuel pump, main relay, etc... none of that was the problem. He said it was the alarm tripping the computer.
I did some research about a code flashing on the dash and tripped the sensor for the transmission and the car started and code hasn't come back.

Now January and the car did the same thing. It sat for 1 day (my day off) and wouldn't start the next day. I had another mechanic (electrician) come out and he said the kill switch from the alarm is causing the problem. He did something to the car and got it started, but now I cant get it started.

I have an appointment with Best Buy to remove the damn alarm, but getting the car started to get it there for removal is my first step.

I have tried to put the car in valet mode to start and it wont work.
I have tried engaging the alarm and then shutting it off.
I have tried to calling the morons at best buy and they are helpless.
I have tried disconnecting the car battery.
I have now removed the 12VDC plug and that made the car not even crank.

Im at my whits ends and think Im going to yank the wires, if I knew which ones.
its either that or I have pay to have it towed to best buy for removal.

So Any ideas on how to get it started without yanking the wires?
Or what wires to pull?

Thanks in advance.

I love my old honda and not ready to give it up, new engine... it has another 200,000 miles to go! ha

Old 01-12-2014, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Unless you knew where the alarm system's starter cut relay was located and/or where they cut the starter Blk/Wht wire to connect it to the relay, there may not be much you can do yourself with the wiring.

See page 12 of the owner's manual instructions and see if you can get the system disarmed and car started.

http://www.directeddealers.com/manua...426V_07-05.pdf

Old 01-12-2014, 04:22 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

It has been a long time but if the alarm cuts the starter from turning and not spark or fuel the ones I have removed are in the area of the lower steering column. Look for a thick wire with a different color wire spiced in. It will be downstream of the ignition switch.

Cut the spice out and reattach the two wires. When I did used cars at a dealership I used to remove all aftermarket alarms or kill switches to avoid issues like you are having.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

I've attached a picture of the ignition switch wire harness that plugs into the under-dash fuse box (Connector C906) and runs under the dash up to the steering column ignition switch. The starter wire is Blk/Wht (which is a wire with black color insulation and a white stripe).

The installer will normally cut anywhere along this harness, either at the wire near the fuse box connector or along the harness under the dash. What you will be looking for is your car's Blk/Wht wire cut, with one end connected to the alarm's black wire and the other end of the Blk/Wht wire connected to the alarm's green wire. If you locate it, you can remove the separate green wire and black wire (it looks like the Viper 305hv starter kill relay wires are green and black). Then reconnect your car's Blk/Wht wire back together with a butt connector or something.

This link shows a 2000 Accord alarm install of a different brand alarm; but, if you look at one of the photos in the link (past the middle), you'll see where they cut the starter Blk/Wht wire and splice the alarm starter kill relay in (the wires in this other alarm are red and black). It is the same concept. 2000 ACCORD ALARM

You can always take some pictures of the under-dash area and post them.

Attached Thumbnails Help overriding an alarm kill switch-ignition-switch-harness.jpg  

Last edited by redbull-1; 01-12-2014 at 09:13 PM.