General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

HELP! Shifter problem in 2003 Accord.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 02:13 PM
Default HELP! Removing KEY problem...SOLVED!!

2003 Honda Accord EX Automatic 4 cyl

Was at store and could not get shifter out of park. I opened a slot (shift lock release) to the left of the shifter and to my surprise, by poking a screwdriver in it, it release the shifter. At the time, I had NO IDEA what it was or what it would do. WAS VERY LUCKY! I got it in drive and came home.

But now, I can't get the key out. I can't get it into the position where I would normally pull it out. I unhooked the battery and need help.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

The problem was the plunger not fully returning after pushing the shifter button. I read this on another forum:

"Make sure the shift **** isn't slightly depressed because if it is, it will not allow you to remove the key. There is a little white plunger there and if its slightly depressed, your key will not come out."

Example: Normally, If I start my car and push in the shifter button slightly I will not be able to turn the key to the OFF position. Let the button go and the key comes out. That was my problem. It must have been slightly "stuck" and would not fully release so that I could turn the key to the OFF position and remove it.

I can't really say how I fixed it. I took the shifter **** off and worked the moving parts and must have freed it up.

That's my story and I am sticking to it!!

Thanks to everybody for your suggestions.

Last edited by Jeff247; 10-22-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

Not being able to shift out of Park may be due to the brake light switch. See this thread regarding replacement. Copy and paste without quotation marks to view.

"honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2826101"

The shift lock release near the shift lever is explained in the owner's manual. You remove the cover and insert your key to release. See attached image.

To remove the key from the ignition make sure the shift lever is in Park.

Attached Thumbnails HELP! Shifter problem in 2003 Accord.-shift-lock-release.jpg   HELP! Shifter problem in 2003 Accord.-ignition-switch.jpg  
Old 10-16-2011, 03:00 PM
Default Key is the problem now

I believe the shifter is OK. I can't remove the key now.

I started it up, backed it up and down the driveway, putting into and out of park a few times.

I now can't get the key into the position that I normally pull it out at.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Thank you

PS-The key has not been out of the ignition since I fixed the shifter at the store and drove it home. I only noticed the key problem after I got home and tried to remove it to go into the house.

Last edited by Jeff247; 10-16-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

See if your VIN is included in this ignition key switch interlock recall.

"http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/Recalls/2010/V/RCRIT-10V364-0909.pdf"

"http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/maintenance/IgnitionSwitch_recall.asp"

Old 10-16-2011, 03:34 PM
Default I am recalled

Originally Posted by redbull-1
See if your VIN is included in this ignition key switch interlock recall.

"http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/Recalls/2010/V/RCRIT-10V364-0909.pdf"

"http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/maintenance/IgnitionSwitch_recall.asp"
I received a notice, but haven't had it fixed yet.

As I understand the recall "it may become possible to remove the ignition key when the shift lever is not in Park." My problem is I can't remove the key at all.

Are you saying that my problem could be a result of the above switch problem?

Thank you

Old 10-16-2011, 03:40 PM
Default The problem.

(0) Lock (I) Access (II) ON (III) Start Ignition positions.

I can't get it into the Lock position. I can get to the other 3 and start it, just not to the (0) Lock position so that I can pull the key out.

Thanks again.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Since you already received the recall notice, I would bring it in to the Honda dealer. They are going to have to remove the steering column cover and may need to replace the ignition switch key interlock, which may actually fix your problem. Although the TSB problem description is slightly different than what you are encountering, it may all be related. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:40 PM
Default It's a miracle!! Maybe?

Since you already received the recall notice, I would bring it in to the Honda dealer. They are going to have to remove the steering column cover and may need to replace the ignition switch key interlock, which may actually fix your problem. Although the TSB problem description is slightly different than what you are encountering, it may all be related. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
I don't know if the 2 are related BUT, I disconnected the battery (both terminals) to charge it. After that, I decided to try the key. It came out like there was never a problem. I'm almost afraid to connect the battery and try to start it! I will after it charges awhile. I'll let you know. Could the battery & this ignition problem be related?

A friend of mine has some ignition lube and thinks I should use it. Any problem with that?

I will definitely get it in for the recall SOON. It certainly won't hurt.

Thanks for all the help.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

So were you having a battery problem too? A little unusual if it is causing a problem with the key interlock. Just a little fyi, many cheaper battery chargers may actually damage the battery. If the battery is over 3 - 5 years old, I would generally change it if there are hints of battery issues; but, you can always get the battery load tested too.

It should be okay to use some lube in the ignition. If it is a wet type which will dry in a bit, hold a paper towel or rag underneath while spraying as you might get some spray back which may also stain a little. I like lock-ease; but, there are other types that work fine too.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Default Battery was OK

So were you having a battery problem too? A little unusual if it is causing a problem with the key interlock. Just a little fyi, many cheaper battery chargers may actually damage the battery. If the battery is over 3 - 5 years old, I would generally change it if there are hints of battery issues; but, you can always get the battery load tested too.

It should be okay to use some lube in the ignition. If it is a wet type which will dry in a bit, hold a paper towel or rag underneath while spraying as you might get some spray back which may also stain a little. I like lock-ease; but, there are other types that work fine too.
The battery was OK, I just wore it down because the key was in the ignition, in the on position and drawing power while I was in and out of the car.

I may just see how fast I can get it into my Honda dealer for that ignition recall fix and maybe they'll replace the ignition!

Quick Reply: HELP! Shifter problem in 2003 Accord.