General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Tips on lowering / tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 04:29 AM
Question Help! Tips on lowering / tuning?

Before I ask this question, i'd like everyone to bear with me because I am a noob at the actual tuning and mechanics of cars but i pretty much have the generic knowledge from simulation video games etc..

I think im going to buy a 96 or 98 Accord. but im not too sure yet because im a pretty big guy (6'1", 230lbs) but anyways, i live in Buffalo,NY and the weather here is crappy in the winter but i want a nice car i can build. Im going for a low clean, flush if possible look. Can anyone give me some help / tips?

Old 02-12-2013, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator

Stay away from v6s and automatics. Other than that you can lower and put some clean rims on either one.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:33 AM

How low is too low for snow? What height / suspension kit would you recommend? I honestly have no clue on how to install anything on any car but i think this will definitley being a learning experience. I want to get as much info as possible before the purchase and turn it into a project.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

Coilsovers are the way to go. The height is adjustable so you could have it lower in summer then raise it for winter. Function form coil overs are probably the best bang for the buck. A 2.5-3in drop on an accord is a good ride height.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:58 AM
Almost A Senior Member

accordmelly27;
I'm from Orchard Park, and a couple of years ago in a storm around Dec 1, my car was acting like a plow, the air vent under the front bumper scooped up snow. I didn't want to stop until I got in the driveway because I wouldn't get going again.
For some reason my stock ride seems lower than most 2000-2002 Accords, (I have the original springs and struts) but if you plan on driving in winter around here, I wouldn't recommend lowering.
FYI there has been a nice Black 02 EX-L sedan MT on craigslist recently.
PM me if you want to check out my ride.

Last edited by MysticBlueEX; 02-12-2013 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:43 AM

Live2rice thanks for the help is there any particular brand you recommend? once i get the car and the parts ill try to figure out how to install i mean it cant be rocket science right?

Mystic im not really a big fan of the 02's body style i seen a few 4th 5th and 6th gens on Craigslist for under $1,000 i had this vision and i just wanna turn these cars into something fantastic from the ground up. What was your setup? Ive read online somewhere that youll also need a camber kit too? i dont think im gonna want it THAT low because of the potholes.

Im thinking thisll be my purchase process:

1.Suspension
2.Muffler system
3.Cheap to expensive engine mods, intake, spark plugs, im guessing the works

im not really mechanically inclined beyond knowlege from racing games but as long as i figure out the main things i need ill figure out what goes where. any help is good

Old 02-12-2013, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

98 & 02 are almost the same. 2003 was the big change in body style.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

A few comments for the OP:
  • If you live in snow country (and you certainly do), then low is bad. Unless you can find a set of coil-overs which would allow you to return your car to a stock right height (or higher), then you'll probably render the car practically undrivable after any "normal" (for your area) snowfall.
  • Changing the spark plugs won't do anything good for performance and may actually cause the engine to run worse; stick with the OEM spec plugs.
  • If you're wanting a "buildable" car, concentrate on finding one with a manual transmission; the automatics are just too fragile.
  • If you want a car with a significant bump in power and torque, you should seriously consider a turbocharger application.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:44 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by accordmelly27
Mystic im not really a big fan of the 02's body style i seen a few 4th 5th and 6th gens on Craigslist for under $1,000 i had this vision and i just wanna turn these cars into something fantastic from the ground up.
Mine is my daily driver, but I seem to be fixing a few things in the garage lately, bulbs, coolant leak, horn, caliper service, etc. The AC Compressor is making a bit of bearing noise, I hope that's not next.
I am also refinishing a set of 5th gen Aluminum wheels so they are nicely done when I get new tires a couple of months. Maybe an E-bay front spoiler and a hood air deflector this year. But I bought it with 122k miles so I can show you all the maintenance so far.
Otherwise it runs great, quick for a commuter car, and has a great stereo.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Tein, function form, kw, and bilstien are the higher end coilover brands with Megan, ground control, and d2 being the lower end but not terrible ones.

Quick Reply: Help! Tips on lowering / tuning?