General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help w/1999 EX Heating/AC Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Have you verified that AC hi/lo pressure switch is closed (short circuit across switch w/ connector removed)? If open, pressure switch should not cause no lights on control panel, but would interupt AC compressor (no ground to compressor relay by PCM).

No lights may be a separate fault on AC control panel. Ground circuit for blower is same as control panel, and since blower is working, ground path is confirmed.

good luck

Old 06-06-2014, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

This is strange. Lets take a step back and ask some general questions.

Did you purchase the 98-02 shop manual from automanualsource.com or equivalent OEM manual from somewhere else?

Was any work done on this car right before the problem happened?

Does this car have an alarm system installed?

Does the car have any other components not working?

What components does the HVAC panel control right now.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:45 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Yes, I purchased the manual. I also used it to check for power on the 22 pin connector to ensure the pressure switch was working. I had no power at the pin with ignition off and power with ignition on. So it seems pressure switch is working.

There was no other work done before this problem surfaced.
Car has factory installed alarm system.
Everything else works fine.
HVAC panel will only control the blower. Nothing else works or lights up.

Since the jumper wire fix did not work, I went ahead and ordered a NEW control panel from HONDAPARTSUNLIMITED.com. I will let you guys know how it works out when the part comes in. It was the best price I could find on a brand new one ($210.00). At least I will know for sure if that is the problem or not. Thanks for all the help so far. I really do appreciate it!!!

Old 06-09-2014, 08:34 PM

You check AC pressure switch by disconnecting wiring connector and measuring resistance across switch contacts. If system has some charge, the switch should be zero ohms (shorted).

Circuit shows some voltage should appear on blu/red of pressure switch connector but unclear what voltage. If switch were shorted you should see same voltage on other wire (yel/grn).

good luck

Old 06-12-2014, 04:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok guys. The new control panel is in and everything works....but the a/c is making a very loud squealing noise when turned on. Turn a/c off and the squealing stops. Compressor? Compressor clutch? I dont see anything in the manual about troubleshooting this problem.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:02 PM

Serpentine belt could be too loose (old stretched belt), but more likely the compressor has high internal resistance due to damage.

Try rotating compressor face by hand. It should rotate easily w/ slight resistance. If you feel high resistance and gritty feedback, the compressor has siezed.

If compressor is siezed, you will likely need to open system, remove receiver/drier and look for debris from compressor. If lots of debris, a complete system replacement is usually required to achieve long term performance.

Clutch appears to be operating normally, closing when commanded and spinning free when compressor clutch is Off.

good luck

Old 06-12-2014, 06:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies

If compressor was seized would a/c still work? I ask because after I changed the control panel everything works fine. A/C blows VERY cold air in all speed settings. Also, the high pitch squeal comes and goes. Some times it does it, some times it doesnt. Some times it doesnt do it until you rev the engine, and most times it stops at idle.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:15 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Could it be that compressor is going bad? Not seized yet, but may soon?

Old 06-12-2014, 06:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Oh...belts look good and both are nice and tight. Very tight.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:44 PM

Yes they can cool while siezing. Check resistance of clutch face. Engine off

Not good to run if siezing as this reduces possibility of cleaning/flushing system rather than replacing everything.

good luck

Quick Reply: Help w/1999 EX Heating/AC Problem