General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 11:43 AM
Default hesitation

Hey guys, got my carb installed on my 89 honda accord and also, new fuelpump. Car started fine(thanks poorman!) But now the car seems like it doesn,t want to take the gas when i first press the accelerator. But after you get going it seems o.k. the car has been sitting about 4 years. The gas is way past stale, but i thought i could burn it out. Could the stale gas cause it to hesitate badly when i first press the accelerator? Maybe accelerator pump? But accel pump doesn,t kick in when accelerating slow. I will drain the bad gas and put fresh gas in and try that. Please help!@@$

Old 05-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

First, my pleasure....not sure what I did but I'm glad it worked ....I think I remember but not sure.....bad when you get old.

Yes the gas would be the fisrt thing to rule out. How much of the old stuff is in there......a fuel treatment and fresh gas might get you by, as my name says, I'm poor and $4 a gallon I would take all I can get......of course the tune up stuff needs to be checked (cap, rotor, plugs)....there is a little o-ring/gasket under the cap...if gone there could be built up "gunk" (tech speak) on the contacts.

If nothing else, Thank You for getting another 3rd gen back on the road .

Old 04-17-2012, 11:40 PM

hello, I read your post and It sounds like you need to replace your fuel filter/s.

I am having the same problem with my 1988 Honda accord Lx (mine is not fuel injected, it is carborated ).

Problem: From a stop, if i hit the gas any harder than just lightly, it will sputter and bog and will not stop until i let off the gas and ease on the pedal lightly.

I am thinking this is a fuel filter problem and I will pick the rear filter up at the part store tomorrow ( there are 2 on this car ) and give it a shot. I heard the rear fuel filter is a little tricky to replace so wish me luck.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Roast
hello, I read your post and It sounds like you need to replace your fuel filter/s.

I am having the same problem with my 1988 Honda accord Lx (mine is not fuel injected, it is carborated ).

Problem: From a stop, if i hit the gas any harder than just lightly, it will sputter and bog and will not stop until i let off the gas and ease on the pedal lightly.

I am thinking this is a fuel filter problem and I will pick the rear filter up at the part store tomorrow ( there are 2 on this car ) and give it a shot. I heard the rear fuel filter is a little tricky to replace so wish me luck.

First, the rear (primary) filter is easy to change. Jack up the left-drivers rear, remove tire, there are 1 maybe 2 bolts (10mm head) that hold a "cage" housing the filter to the underside of the car, remove it/them, if the filter is OE style there will be a tab on the filter holding it into the cage-release, lower cage from filter, remove the clamps and hoses to the filter.....re-install, just be sure to get the "flow direction" correct.

Now to the issue, I doubt this is your issue. Remember on carb's they have a "bowl" that holds an amount of fuel.....you could pinch off the fuel line and the car would stay running at idle for ~2 minutes.

For you, I'd have to ask when the last tune up (cap, rotor, plugs, inspect wires, ect) was done?

Old 04-18-2012, 08:02 PM

I changed both of the fuel filters since they were both really cheap. It seems better but....

Problem: When I hit the gas hard from a stop, the car stumble stumble stumble and then goes.

I just changed the cap and rotor. I got the car less than a week ago, and the guy said he did the wires and the spark plugs but he said they were cheap... i just got an email back from him. So i went to the store and bought NGK copper plugs and duralast lifetime warranty wires. I will put them on tomorrow and see how it goes.

Last edited by Roast; 04-18-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

PLEASE take caution on the #1 (belt side) and #4 (trans side) plugs. Those two "kind of" point out towards the fenders.....please be sure the start by hand a good bit before putting a socket on them.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:58 PM

I replaced the plugs and wires, and so far so good!

no more stumble stumble.

thanks for the tip's!

Old 04-20-2012, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

Cool, glad you got.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:23 PM

hmmm....i still notice what seems to be a dead spot in the throttle.

It seems like if i hit the gas not light...not real hard...but kinda in the middle somewhere it wants to stumble or bog.

ok now im clueless.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:36 AM

hey Roast u mite wana make sure that the throttle cable an the accelerator cable are adjusted proper?these 2 work 2gether if 1 is tighter or looser than the other it will throw off the idle an acceleration,so give that a shot see what happens
/good luck! theirs no problems only solutions!

Quick Reply: hesitation