General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey all

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Primera
Unregistered
Default Hey all

Guess I should start by introducing myself. I am a college student who just bought himself a strong running Accord with a few minor problems (re-occuring Check engine light, and srs light) not a big deal but maybe someone can point in the right direction on how to diagnose them though. Anyways its a good car and I have many plans for it.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Hey all

welcome to the forum fellow 5th gener, and fellow college student

the first step in any check engine light is to figure out the code that is setting it off

Old 09-11-2008, 04:19 PM

Srs light is probably a senser was it ever in an accident before.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Take it to Auto Zone and have them check it out for your self...
Welcome to the forums , make sure you ask and post your questions in the correct forums

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 09-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Get the codes stored. You can stop by autozone and they will read the codes for free. Write down the codes and post them on here. They will be P####

Old 09-15-2008, 04:30 PM
Primera
Unregistered

Well found out the hard way that the CEL was my alternator going bad, although getting the CEL scanned for free at autozone. Now I will definately keep that in mind.
And about the SRS light. Yes its been in maaaany accidents while my mom used to drive it. Thanks guys for the responses

Old 09-15-2008, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

There is no specific code for a bad alternator that I have heard of. Your battery light should have been on for a bad alternator.

The CEL might have been triggered by low voltage from the alternator or something else is wrong with the car.

You should reset the ECU, but make sure that you have the radio security code to reenter. All you do is remove the 7.5 amp fuse labeled radio(backup) in the fuse box under the hood for a minute. It is in the corner closest to the windshield and driver side of the car. This will reset the ECU and any new codes will come from a failing component.

As for the SRS, has the car ever been in an accident where the airbags deployed?

Old 09-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Primera
Unregistered

Well I hope it is over the low voltage, but I have still yet to replace the alt and the CEL didn't show up when I moved my car yesterday. I will pull the fuse to clear the codes but if I pulled the batt. wouldn't that clear the code as well (just cuious)? Its aftermarket radio so no big deal on that. I have no idea whether or not the airbag has been deployed. But the corner of the front bumper cover got mashed in a bit which may have set off the light although I doubt it cause I figure that woud have probably set off the air bag as well. So my best guess is that it was deployed sometime when my mom was in an accident and it needs to be reset (I think I saw a thread about that already)

Old 09-17-2008, 06:09 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Pulling the battery works too ..... if you have a capacitor, you need to ground that as well .... can be done by pulling the battery + lead and grounding it to chasis or the engine.

Your mom would know if the airbags deployed. They almost always break the windshield and parts of the dash.