General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hey guys

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 01:08 PM
jonnysrt2004
Unregistered
Default hey guys

new to this forum,
jumped on to get some help, hopefully find a how to..
My father asked me to change out the axles on his DD. 96 accord 4 cyl auto. just wonderin if any of you guys can point me in the right direction/ link on a how to change them out. your input/help is much appreciated.
thanks in advance
>John

Old 04-10-2008, 03:19 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: hey guys

go take a look at the DIY swection ,,there is a write up on how to replace axles

Old 04-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: hey guys

Open link in ACC 5th... thread in DIY section. Download shop manual (in sections) for the 94 accord in pdf form. They will help a lot.

Changing the axles on a 96 isn't too bad, provided that you have the right tools. You need a 36mm socket and an impact wrench to loosen that nut. A breaker bar with a ~5ft pipe on the breaker bar will also loosen it, but you have to get leverage on it. Apply PBBlaster liberally to that nut. You should loosen that nut with the wheels on the ground. I also hit the end of the axle on the nut at the end of the thread with a rubber mallet to loosen the axle from the hub.

You need to break seperate the tie rod and lower ball joint from the knuckle and remove the lower bolt of the shock wishbone. Specialized tools are needed for the ball joints. You can rent a 1.5 inch pitman tie rod puller for the tie rod. That puller is too narrow for the lower ball joint and the larger one at autozone is a bit too wide. I don't like the fork seperator, because I tear the ball joint boot. I bought a tool like this on off Ebay and it worked great.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ball-...spagenameZWDVW

The knuckle can be pulled from the outside part of the axle. For the inside part, I used a thin/wide crowbar to pry the axle from the tranny. Have a pan to catch the tranny fluid that will come out. After that, I pulled the shock a little bit to get the axle through the wishbone. Install is basically reversed. You need some leverage to get the new axle into the tranny. I basically grabbed the inner part of the CV joint and put my feet against the wall in the garage and used my body as the lever. With a bit of effort, the axle went in.

Good Luck.