General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hey guys new here and with a problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 08:05 PM
xrtaco06
Unregistered
Cool hey guys new here and with a problem

hey what up guys, i have a little problem with my 93 accord.
it won't start, i have done the tune up and everything. i changed the distributor and it started, then it went out again, so i thought it was the fuel pump, changed it and still no start, then checked it with my friends distributor and it started. so i changed it for another one and bam turned on. then a week later today it left me hanging again at school. i was able to here the pump but not this time, i have warranty the distributor twice, i can do it agian no problem but it would just go out again. does anyone know whats going on here. sorry for the long thread and good to be here. thanks in advanced.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

So when you hear the pump it starts? And when you don't hear the pump it doesn't start? That really sounds like a bad main relay. You can search in General Tech for a bunch of threads on that.

BTW, Welcome! This is the welcome & introductions board. If this turns into much of a technical discussion I'll move it to General Tech.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:59 PM
xrtaco06
Unregistered
Cool

if it was a bad relay it wouldn't start at all would it. cause when i put the new distributor on it starts up fine, its something burning the distributor but what runs the distributor. can it be the coil.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

I figured it might just be intermittent anyway. Distributor didn't fix it so it continued to occasionally not start. Main relay is usually an intermittent problem, worse when the interior is HOT.

So each new distributor gets fried, then it doesn't start at all? No luck just waiting & trying again like an intermittent problem?

Old 05-05-2009, 04:44 PM
xrtaco06
Unregistered
Cool

Originally Posted by JimBlake
I figured it might just be intermittent anyway. Distributor didn't fix it so it continued to occasionally not start. Main relay is usually an intermittent problem, worse when the interior is HOT.

So each new distributor gets fried, then it doesn't start at all? No luck just waiting & trying again like an intermittent problem?

nope it won't start at all only when i put a new distributor on it fires up like nothing happened at all. i got a new coil, but can it be anything else?

Old 05-05-2009, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Is your accord an EX, LX, or DX?

You really should try to figure out if the problem is due to lack of spark or lack of fuel.

If you have a timing light, hook it up to a wire. Try to start the car. The timing light should flash when hooked up to each of the 4 spark plug wires.

i was able to here the pump but not this time
I am a bit confused about this part of your first post. Are you able to hear the fuel pump turn on when the car is not starting? It should kick on for about 2 seconds when you initially turn the key to the II position.

Also, there is a ground under the distributor housing that may be loose or corroded. Check that as well.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:16 PM
xrtaco06
Unregistered
Cool

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Is your accord an EX, LX, or DX?

You really should try to figure out if the problem is due to lack of spark or lack of fuel.

If you have a timing light, hook it up to a wire. Try to start the car. The timing light should flash when hooked up to each of the 4 spark plug wires.

I am a bit confused about this part of your first post. Are you able to hear the fuel pump turn on when the car is not starting? It should kick on for about 2 seconds when you initially turn the key to the II position.

Also, there is a ground under the distributor housing that may be loose or corroded. Check that as well.

its a 93 lx. i was able to hear it when it worked fine and when i would put a new distributor on. when the distributor went out it wouldn't send the power to the pump so i couldn't hear it. it can't be lack of fuel because i just changed the fuel pump and it was working fine. i know it's lack of spark.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

The distributor doesn't send power to the fuel pump, the main relay does.

The distributor gets its power from the ignition switch.

Even a new fuel pump will not work if it isn't getting power. That is why I asked if you verified that you have a weak/no spark when the car will not start.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:29 PM
xrtaco06
Unregistered
Cool

ok so i changed the coil, and the distributor again. it started up fine, maybe it can be the main relay?

Old 05-05-2009, 11:47 PM
xrtaco06
Unregistered
Cool

where is the main relay located i can't find it any where?

Quick Reply: hey guys new here and with a problem