General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi beam issue, follow this logic . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 05:19 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Hi beam issue, follow this logic . .

2003 Coupe. I know there are four fuses and two relays for the front headlights. What I have is a non working left high beam. There is no power getting to the plug at the light. This is only on one side, not a relay issue. The fuse is good and hot at one terminal ( with fused out ). So power is leaving the fuse. From the schematic, it seems there is nothing else from the fuse to the light plug, other than wiring. ????

Old 04-18-2019, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

If there is power (+) via under-hood Fuse No. 3 (10A) with the headlight switch turned on for high beam; then, there is on open (break) in between the fuse box connector terminal through the Wht/Red wire to the headlight connector terminal.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I taught electricity and electronics, Auto too, you don't have to baby the terms LOL My first Accord, I'm just making sure there's not something I'm missing.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

So the wht/yel wire to the driver's bulb has no voltage? What were you using as your meter ground?

Old 04-18-2019, 07:17 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Correct, no voltage. What ground? Well the easiest is the ground where the battery cable is attached. Its the same ground I used to test the fuse connector.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Just wanted to make sure you weren't using the blk to the connector.

Probably the easiest way to eliminate a problem with the fuse box is to disconnect the connector that carries that wht/yel wire and supply 12 volts directly to the wire and see if the high beam works. From the shop manual it looks like it is connector H pin 8.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:48 PM
Newest Of Newbies

No I was using the bolt at the battery cable to inner fender. However, that black wire is the ground for the circuit. I'm not sure I checked continuity to ground or not on that black wire . . should have. Still had no power using the known ground. I feel like going out and getting into it again now But most likely will be after the weekend as I'm busy for Easter.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies

OK . .here is what I just did. First a visual LOL. I live in the middle of nowhere. So I run around in my underwear often outside . . so I got in the Accord , drove over to the shop and did some more testing, in my underwear LOL I wanted to verify a couple things, after running stuff through my head over and over. Here's what I found, ran a wire from the battery to the bulb, it comes on. Knew it would , but never did it. I again checked continuity to ground, had it at the black wire. Checked the white/red wire ( not white/yellow ) and had continuity to ground as well. Hmmm, the fuse is not blown, should blow with continuity on the white/red wire to ground. So it seems, I have an open, but at the same time, a connection from the last end of the wire, to ground. The front end, closest to the fuse box, must be free of ground, no short. Weird.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Looks like the 06 model had a wht/red wire for the driver's high beam.

You may want to trace back on the harness to see if someone had spliced in a wire harness they got from a junkyard?

The problem could be in the connector at the bulb as well, where the break in the wire is somewhere inside the connector?

Old 04-18-2019, 08:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies

If inside the connector, how would the white get ground from the black? They're spread far enough and the connector is not crushed.

Quick Reply: Hi beam issue, follow this logic . .