General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi Mileage - How much is ok?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 10:22 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Hi Mileage - How much is ok?

Looking to replace my '97 accord with a 2006-2008 model. I know the body style changed in 2008. I'd like to keep my cost around $10k. In that price range most decent ones have around 70+k miles. I'm interested in EX+ trims with sun roof.

What would you find an accetable cost to mileage difference. My '97 has 168k miles, needs some repairs and paint is not great.

Here are a couple I found:

2006 Honda Accord EX For Sale in Danboro, PA - CarGurus

This one has been for sale for over 120 days. Thinking I might be able to get the price down
2008 Honda Accord EX For Sale in Wernersville, PA - CarGurus

Old 06-10-2015, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Agree with mchris9; how the car has been maintained is far more important than how many miles are on the clock.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:18 AM
Newest Of Newbies

It just doesn't feel right to purchase a 100k mile car for $10k. I would like not have to buy another for at least 5 years, use it as my daily (40 miles) and ocasional long distance drive (200 miles+)

I know what you are saying is logical but makes me anxsious.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Mileage is most important variable affecting price. Suggest purusing ebay, autotrader, local newspaper site, etc. to get a firm grasp of price/mileage relationship. It varies but is usually fairly consistent.

Ultimately, it is more important to get a good used car than get the absolutely rock-bottom price. If you keep car 100K miles, you will get good value.

I have found that having a used car inspection by a competent mechanic or inspection service is worth the cost, usually $150-$200. Most times you will find one point that will discount the sales price. If seller doesn't want to do this, go elsewhere immediately.

good luck

Old 06-10-2015, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
Agree with mchris9; how the car has been maintained is far more important than how many miles are on the clock.
Agree. We traded an Accord that had 286K miles on it, but still ran like a champ... the contributing factor was that the car had been well maintained

Old 06-10-2015, 01:59 PM

Mileage heavily impacts value, not quality as you say. Consequently, you will pay more for low miles vs high miles. Best value is high miles, but it is necessary to understand condition thoroughly.

You don't want to buy a transmission or engine problem that will cost a substantial fraction of vehicle cost to repair.

good luck

Old 06-10-2015, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Mileage heavily impacts value, not quality as you say. Consequently, you will pay more for low miles vs high miles. Best value is high miles, but it is necessary to understand condition thoroughly.

You don't want to buy a transmission or engine problem that will cost a substantial fraction of vehicle cost to repair.

good luck
I suppose that depends; I recently bought a very-very good condition 1999 Chrysler Town & Country minivan with nearly 200,000 miles on it and a known bad transmission. I ended up paying $1,000 for the van, $1,400 for a remanufactured transmission, and another $1,000 for installation and a few other repairs. The van runs like a champ and I plan on keeping if for an easy 150,000 additional miles.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:06 AM

You discounted the value of the trans repair from the price. Unless you have an inspection or it's obvious, a person that paid fair price assuming trans was good was out ~50% of car value!

good luck

Old 06-15-2015, 08:23 PM

I picked up a 2010 with less than 40k for 12,900. Deals are out there if you look hard and are willing to go get them.

I had to drive to the big city (Houston) after mine. It was about 2.5 hours one way. If you can get to a larger city where competition is greater, you can get a better car for a better price. I found a few standard transmission Accords with around 60k for 8 and 9k. Not sure if you are after standard or auto or if it even matters to you. To me, it doesn't matter...I can drive either...I went with the best deal I could find for the money I had. I spent a little bit more than I originally thought, but I also now have a car with less than 40k and a good maintenance history.

Just look hard and be willing to drive a little bit and I think you'll find something good!

Old 06-16-2015, 08:41 AM

A final caveat for anyone buying a car in TX. Inspect for possible flood damage, water lines in trunk, wheel wells, rust in odd places, etc. A vehicle inspection is money well spent. We've had thousands of flooded vehicles in past month or so.

good luck

Quick Reply: Hi Mileage - How much is ok?