General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Hit pothole runs very poorly 89 accord

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 12:17 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Hit pothole runs very poorly 89 accord

Hi All Again.
Just when I get the car running good something else now..I hit a BIG pothole the other day (it hit hard). I noticed it having a little miss right afterwards, I drove about 5 miles or so then it seemed to have a flat spot in the carb..Got it home and did a tune up on it, plugs wires cap and rotor also changed fuel filters (in case the JAR knocked something loose in the tank). Ran great for a 30 mile round trip, Made another 10 mile trip and while I was going around a corner to the right, uphill, it wouldn't respond by holding the throttle in one place, just bog down. I had to pump the accelerator all the way home. I pulled the top of the carb off and looked and it was clean on the inside, also had about an inch of gas (with float) out of bowl..put back together and pretty much same thing run good for about 15-20 minutes at 55 then have to pump accelerator to to keep it moving. If I hold the accelerator in on place the car will die (like hiway driving).
I think I may have done something to something when I hit the hole, Any ideas on where else to look? Thank You all in advance.. John

Old 03-11-2013, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

I haven't gone off a cliff in a while....pretty view - that stop at the bottom does have me a bit worried.

Away, left field here.

Start the car in the driveway and let it run for at least 30 min....does the poor accel issue happen....in park and try rev'ing the engine?

Where I'm going, REPLACE NOTHING ON THIS GUESS without testing. Could the "pot hole" hit caused the cat converter to break....once hot then it restricts the air flow out of the engine?

To prove me wrong, and I hope you do. If the car acts up in the driveway as described above. Remove the exhaust pipe from the manifold and restart the car. Yes it will be loud and I hope your neighbors are nice....but if the pipe is off and the issue is not present anymore????

Old 03-12-2013, 05:39 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Poorman:
I can idle the car in the driveway all day long and it will take the gas and rev up just fine. I guess it could be a possibility on the cat failing, It hit hard when I fell in that pothole.
I was wondering if it may have knocked the screen or something in the gas tank loose, I may pull the fuel pump and check there before climbing underneath and pulling the cat off. I live in the country, so nobody will ever notice no exhaust. VROOM VROOM..
To me it acts like it's starving for fuel. Do these have an accelerator pump on them? Give it gas and it falls on it's face, let off the gas and it will stay idling (while moving)?? I may pull the top back off the carb and clean what jets I can get to with some cleaner. I may try and drive it a little more today and see what happens.
I'm thinking about changing my name to Murphy S Law...lol..By the time I get done with this car, it'll be completely rebuilt. LOL
Thank You. John

Last edited by stubby1962; 03-12-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, that added info helps.

Hey it was a pretty view and now I hit that stop at the bottom. Forget the cat for now.

Pull the pump, easy to do on these. Look into the tank, at the same time take a can of carb cleaner and spray the heck out of the sock on the pump.

If you had the top off already, then you know there is a sight glass on the drivers side of the carb...be sure to clean the glass as testing/looking soon might be needed.

How long does the issue last? So if it acts up, do you pull over and wait "x" and then everything is fine for "y"?

Yes these have an acel pump but the issues (steady throttle) don't add up IMO.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:23 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Morning All:
I pulled the top of the carb off again and cleaned the jets and such that I could get to and put back together. Took it on a 10 mile round trip and it ran fine.. Maybe I just knocked some trash or something loose and hopefully I took care of it.
When I replaced the fuel pump, I replaced the screen on the pump also. But if it acts up again, I'll pull the pump and look there. I have the float level set at 1/2 of the sightglass. I didn't let the car die, I kept pumping the accelerator. So if it happens again, I'll see if it dies and if it will restart.
Really the problem acted like in the fuel delivery..ie the fuel pump, like something would block the flow of fuel. Try and give it gas and it would fall flat on it's face. I could floor it and it would have good pickup, but just to old your foot in one spot for cruising, it would want to die. I didn't let it die, I was afraid it would die and not restart, so I kept it running.
Thank You for your help...God Bless US All....John

Old 03-13-2013, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

Well good to know my journey off the cliff was wrong

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.