General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Holiday HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 11:52 PM
SacHonda
Unregistered
Default Holiday HELP!!!

Sorry my first post is so urgent....Im new to Hondas and now my fiance has one and we're having some problems the day before we're hitting the road for Thanksgiving. Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

She was driving around town today doing errands and it went from working to not working. It wont start and its clearly because theres something wrong somewhere in the wiring. I turn the key and its like the car is kind of charging up to try to start, lights flickering, and clicking behind the dashboard. And it intermittenly lets me lock the doors and roll up/down the windows. Fuses are all good and in place.....

Help me out if you can.....Thanks and Happy Holidays

Old 11-20-2007, 12:43 AM
Almost A Senior Member
Default RE: Holiday HELP!!!

try honking the horn, then hold it down, then try to turn the key, see if it starts then..

oh, and add a signature, and maybe the other memebers can better help you..

Old 11-20-2007, 12:53 AM
SacHonda
Unregistered

K I added signature, hope that helps.

Are you serious about the horn thing?? or are you just messing with the new guy?

Old 11-20-2007, 01:47 AM
Super Moderator

I think that he is serious about the horn. I think that the horn works by providing a ground for the circuit through the cable reel. Its worth a shot to get it started.

I have a couple of questions on what happened. Did the car stall out when driving or did it not start after operating normally?

When you try to start the car now, what happens? Does the starter engage the engine and turn it? Do you hear one click from the starter when the you turn the key to the start position, or does nothing happen?

Old 11-20-2007, 08:14 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If I'm reading correctly and all issues are described here, I think that you just need a new battery!

Old 11-20-2007, 08:28 AM

Install a new battery, and not one of those crappy "built to last" duralast batteries... built to last HA!

btw- that clicking noise is your starter soleinod trying to turn the starter, perfectly normal for a car with a dead battery

Old 11-20-2007, 09:20 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Yeah I was going to say get your battery tested.. if it turns out to be dead, it wouldn't hurt to test your alternator too..

a dead battery can cause lots of strain on an alternator and can burn it out.

if you're hearing the solenoid turning, that's a good sign.. if it's not cranking the engine, it seems to be a power issue..

good luck.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:35 AM

ORIGINAL: wietgr

Install a new battery, and not one of those crappy "built to last" duralast batteries... built to last HA!
I like duralast batteries. They have a lifetime warranty! Ifit ever goes bad, AutoZone will replace it for free!

Anyways,don't buy a new battery yet.
First try wiggling the connections on top of the battery. Check for corrosion at the terminals (white powdery substance). Clean the terminals and make sure the connections are clean and tight. If it still does not work, take out the battery and take it to AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts and have them test it for you. They will test it for free. I don't want you wasting your money on a new battery if this one is just fine.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:20 AM
SacHonda
Unregistered

K,the car just didnt start after operating normally. Ran fine to the store, got out of the store, didnt start. The battery was tested and its fine. The clicking is not the starter, it sounds like a bad connection type of clicking, and its not the terminals getting a bad connection, cause I cleaned those last night thinking it might be those, still didnt work.

When I try to start it now, nothing happens, no starter nothing, but as soon as I back up to the on position all the all the lights and light panels and radio work. I jumped it last night and went for a drive to give the battery a charge and everytime I clicked the headlights into the high beams the radio would either take a serious power bump or shut completely off.

any more suggestions....

Old 11-20-2007, 10:26 AM

Sounds exactly like what my 95 was doing when I had bad/dirty connections at my battery terminals. But since you checked that already....have you tried to inspect the battery cables for damage at all? Have you had the alternator checked? It seems too early to me for an alternator to be going out (if you are talking about the 2005 model in your sig). You do not happen to still be under warranty do you?

Quick Reply: Holiday HELP!!!