General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

honda accord 92

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 05:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default honda accord 92

Hi all. 92 accord ex 211k miles. Was dealing with idling problem which would idle high then afterwarming up would go low but then bounce right back up then down so on. Read other posts and was able to tighten the diaphram inside the iacv. Seems the idling settled and much better in park or neutral.when in gear engine seems to sound and act like it wants to bog down then goes to normal again then bogs down. Checked spark plugs and seem fine. I would really appreciate any ideas suvgestions. Our only car right now n dont have money for mechanic. Thanks so much.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Did you tighten the FITV or the IACV?

I would remove the 7.5 amp backup/radio fuse in the engine bay fuse box for a minute. Then I would start the car up and allow it to idle and warm to operating temperature. This will make the engine computer relearn the idle.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:20 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Sorry took so long to follow up on this. I tightened the one that sits directly in front of the engine as opposed to the one on the side (drivers side). I really dont have an idling issue anymore. The problem now is that its missing. Its as if it was only running on 2 or 3 spark plugs imstead of all 4. I bought new plug cables but didnt fix the problem. I bought new spark plug for the plug closest to.drivers.side cuz it.appeares thats the one missing but its still missing. Fuel filter is relatively new.

When i pull the plugs cables while car is running i notice the difference right away as the engine noticeably bogs down, except for that last plug. The difference is not aa noticeable. So that helps me assume that plugs are ok except for the last one but alredy put in a new one and no improvement. What else could it be? Fuel injectors, distributor, solenoids????? There are times when engine runs right, but not for long then starts to miss again. Any help is appreciated. Oh, i did unplug radio fuse but no improvement.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Is the rest of of the ign system "tune up" items up to date?....cap and rotor.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:16 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I havent looked at tbose but certainly will. The only thing i can say though is that i can.rev up the engine as high as i want while still missing. I notice that when i rev it up past 40000 rpms' it stops missing. So given this info does it sound like it would.still be rotor and cap. If so, what am i looking for wben looking at rotor and cap? Thanks alot and sorry for the newbie questions.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

How long since you replaced the cap and rotor? They are maintenance items, so replacing them isn't a bad idea.

I would clean the EGR ports. Go to the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum. There is a link for 90-93 egr port cleaning.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:02 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Been quite a while. At least 5 to 6 years. Ill look into it. Im just not sure since the engine does run right from time to time that this would be the problem.