General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda Accord SE Executive (UK) - resetting alarm

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 05:27 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Honda Accord SE Executive (UK) - resetting alarm

Hi,

My car's alarm was going off recently and often for no reason (such as a passing car or movement) - so I did a Google search and what I found was that it was either the Remote keys or a low battery.

I tried to reprogram the Remote Keys (but I'm now not convinced I did it correctly) and the alarm still kept going off for 'no reason'. At the time of reprogramming I wasn't aware that I perhaps wasn't doing the reprogramming correctly so I then turned my attention to the Battery (the battery did seem not to be very strong, so this seemed a possibility).

The battery people showed me the computer printout that it was indeed unservisable and was low so I purchased a new battery.......

The alarm still would still go off for 'no reason'.

So I tried to reprogram the keys again and this time I thought I'd done it correctly.....

However, on going to the car to use it, I noticed that the remote keys would activate nothing so I used the key to get in the car and the alarm went off.

Having had enough of this nonsense, I contacted Honda who told me to disconnect the battery in the hope that it would reset things.

I did this but of course the Alarm continued to sound (even with the battery disconnected).

So, another call to Honda informed me that inside the alarm unit is a small cell which keeps the alarm sounding (in case someone is trying to steal your battery !), so I was told to let this alarm battery exhaust itself before retrying to connect the battery.

This I did.

So now, I am at a situation where the alarm will go off if I unlock the car by the keys, but the alarm doesn't sound anymore (because there's no 'juice' I guess in the unit) and the remote keys don't do any thing.

Please, I know this sounds like a pig's dinner, but can someone advise me as to how to reset all of this ??

I believe the car starts when I use the keys, but the alarm is actually going off at the same time (I thought these cars had 'immobilisers' ???).

Many thanks for any help you may be able to give.

Kind regards,

Jez

Old 12-04-2010, 06:34 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Problem fixed !!!

I tried the unlock/relock by key method to reset the alarm and this didn't work for me.

So I sat in the car and retried resetting the remote key once more.

This time it worked properly and in the process reset the alarm.

As you can imagine, I am so happy and relieved !!

Hope my post helps someone in some way !

Kind regards,

Jez

Old 12-04-2010, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

Great, thanks for letting us know.
Can you think of anything different between the 2 times you tried it?

Was it this procedure?
programming remotes...
1) Unlock Doors
2) Turn ignition key to "ON" position (II)
3) Press the "LOCK" or "UNLOCK" button on the remote
4) Turn the ignition key to the "OFF" position (0, I)
5) Turn the ignition key to the "ON" position
6) Press lock or unlock
7) Turn key to off position
8) on position
9) lock or unlock
10) off position
11) on position
12)lock or unlock - doors should cycle to indicate successful programming. If you only have one remote, turn ignition to off or don't touch anything. if you have 2+ remotes, go to 13:
13) lock on each transmitter that you need to program

*Steps 2-12 must be performed within 5 seconds of each other. Step 13 can be performed within 10 seconds of step 12.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Hi Jim,

Yes, it is this procedure but I didn't read my copy correctly.

I only did up to steps 12 and then didn't do step 13 !

It was only until I saw a helpful person on YouTube that I realised that I didn't do step 13).

Here's the link to YouTube;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0VDkEF_ZJY

I can tell you, it was a relief to fix what I broke !! Honda weren't much help which was surprising and I had visions that I was going to be told it was going to be expensive to sort out.......

Old 12-04-2010, 12:17 PM
Newest Of Newbies

P.S. Any idea where the Alarm Unit resides in a Honda Accord ?? I'll be needing to purchase a replacement battery for it since I exhausted it through letting it drain (to stop the alarm from constantly making a noise).

Old 12-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

What year is your accord?

Old 12-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Hi,

It's a 2002 Honda Accord SE Executive.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

This site shows the factory security system installation for a 99 US Accord. It might help you locate it on your UK version.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/.../20014_01.html

Old 12-04-2010, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

UK (Swindon-built) Accord isn't the same, but maybe it's close? Not sure if it matches any Acura, sorta like the 2003-06 UK Accord is the Acura TSX.

Last edited by JimBlake; 12-04-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Hi PAhonda,

The link you provided doesn't work for me.

So I've ordered a Haynes manual via ebay (probably not the best but I've always bought one for the odd DIY repair).

Quick Reply: Honda Accord SE Executive (UK) - resetting alarm