General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda Accord Warranty Extension: Piston Rings Sticking- advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 09:10 AM
Smile Honda Accord Warranty Extension: Piston Rings Sticking- advice needed

Hi, just received from Honda (for my 2008 Honda Accord LX-P 2.4 liter manual 5 speed 90k mileage) entitled "Warranty Extension: Sticking Piston Rings Resulting in High Engine Oil Consumption" notice. Reason this peaked my interest is that the car has been using oil - maybe a quart every 700 to 1000 miles. In the 9 months that I have owned the car I maybe put 3k miles on it. So I turned to the phones and called several dealers because they mentioned I need an engine oil consumption test and wanted to get a feel for how they approach this. At least one dealer service dept rep told me I needed receipts for all the oil changes that were ever done on the car - I told him that I was not likely to be able to produce this and the conversation went downhill from there. Having called several dealers it seemed like the larger one was much more customer oriented and said just bring it on in while the smaller ones seemed in general as if I was looking to get something for nothing.

So, my questions are the following:
1) Is there an existing thread on this subject?
2) Am I better off working with a larger dealer than smaller one ? Does any warranty work they have to do come out of their pocket?
3) Does anyone know the definition of excessive oil consumption? Seeing from some research on the web that 1/2 quart in 1k miles may be acceptable to Honda. Yikes!!!!!

Thanks again for any advice on this you can provide. I am in the Washington, dc area

Old 09-07-2015, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

1. In this forum, there isn't an existing thread on the "Warranty Extension: Sticking Rings Resulting in High Engine Oil Consumption" for the 4 cylinders.

2. A warranty claim by the dealer is reimbursed by Honda America. There are flat rate times already determined for the job.

3. 1/2 quart every 1,000 miles is not considered excessive oil consumption. 1 quart every 1,000 miles can even be considered normal depending on other factors.

You'll have to schedule and pay for an engine oil and filter change with a dealer for the oil consumption test. (Honda will pay for the oil and filter change if subsequent repairs are made under warranty.) You'll have to regularly check the oil level after this oil change. If the oil level approaches the lower mark on the dipstick, return to the dealer. If it is not possible to return to the dealer, then you must add the recommended oil and keep proper records of the amount of oil added, the mileage, and the before and after oil levels (a form will have been given to you as part of the scheduled oil consumption test).

For engine oil consumption test, if oil consumption is 1 quart of more every 1,000 miles, they will follow normal troubleshooting procedures first (e.g. no external leaks, etc.) before seeking approval from the Honda District Parts and Service Manager (DSPM) to proceed with warranty work.

There may be other factors causing excessive oil consumption not covered by the extended warranty related to the piston rings.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:06 PM
Administrator
Talking Hello Member

Good answer Red-Bull as always.

Hope this helped that member .

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails Honda Accord Warranty Extension: Piston Rings Sticking- advice needed-th.jpg  
Old 09-07-2015, 09:54 PM
Smile Thanks for your reply - acouple of questions???

Quick question regarding 1 qt being considered normal depending on other factors - Can you please elaborate on what those other factors might be? - thanks in advance.

Fred

Originally Posted by redbull-1
1. In this forum, there isn't an existing thread on the "Warranty Extension: Sticking Rings Resulting in High Engine Oil Consumption" for the 4 cylinders.

2. A warranty claim by the dealer is reimbursed by Honda America. There are flat rate times already determined for the job.

3. 1/2 quart every 1,000 miles is not considered excessive oil consumption. 1 quart every 1,000 miles can even be considered normal depending on other factors.

You'll have to schedule and pay for an engine oil and filter change with a dealer for the oil consumption test. (Honda will pay for the oil and filter change if subsequent repairs are made under warranty.) You'll have to regularly check the oil level after this oil change. If the oil level approaches the lower mark on the dipstick, return to the dealer. If it is not possible to return to the dealer, then you must add the recommended oil and keep proper records of the amount of oil added, the mileage, and the before and after oil levels (a form will have been given to you as part of the scheduled oil consumption test).

For engine oil consumption test, if oil consumption is 1 quart of more every 1,000 miles, they will follow normal troubleshooting procedures first (e.g. no external leaks, etc.) before seeking approval from the Honda District Parts and Service Manager (DSPM) to proceed with warranty work.

There may be other factors causing excessive oil consumption not covered by the extended warranty related to the piston rings.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Some other factors that may/are considered:

no external leaks, or any loose or disconnected breather hoses, whether car is operated normally (no trailer pulling, no excessive engine revving, maintenance done on schedule, etc.).

Old 09-28-2015, 10:03 AM
Default Questions again

Hello,

I am new to this forum, and also have some questions. I also received in the mail the same letter. I bought my accord LX new in August 2008, and about 2 years ago, I found out that my Accord has that VTC actuator issue, but dealer refuse to fix, unless I pay the $900 full price. It was just out of warranty. On top of that I also found out that my Honda has been consuming oil for about at least 1/2 quart every 1000 miles (more sometimes).

There is no leak on my Honda and no towing, normal driving conditions to/from work (about 200 miles per week). Since about 3 years ago, I started doing my own oil change and that is also how I found out that my car is very low on oil, and started to top-off. Beforehand, I did it at the dealer and nobody told me anything.

I am so pissed at Honda, that if they do not fix this, I may not buy another Honda. I would like to ask your opinion on this issue that I am having. Is there a possibility that my Honda has piston ring issue?

This is not to mention the rear break issue.

Thanks in advance.

Don

Old 09-30-2015, 11:39 PM

A quart every 1000 miles is only normal if you drive a 2-cycle. My previous work vehicle had 246000 miles on it when I retired it and didn't burn a drop between changes. My current 2008 Accord LX-P burns a quart every 800-1000 miles.

Any dealer that tells you that every oil change needs to be documented is a crook. I am in the second 1000 miles of my oil consumption test. The first 800 burned a quart. 850 miles later I am another quart down, but have been told to wait until at least 900 miles, 1000 would be better. They have done the leak check, none to be found.

As a reference, I am NOT the original owner, I bought the car 13 months ago with 83.xxx miles. No argument from the dealer on warranty coverage, just verifying the problem.

One opinion, the oil consumption test has more to do with a way to delay or avoid coverage than verification. There are multiple 1000 mile segments and the documentation must not get lost in the meantime. I will keep everyone posted, but at the rate that mine burns oil, I see a short block in my future one way or the other....

Old 10-01-2015, 06:26 AM
Post Reply to excessive oil consumption post

Thanks very much for your reply - good to know that I am not the only one dealing w/ this issue. Your analogy about 1 qt/ 1K miles is like having a 2 stroke is right to the point. I had a 90 accord that I traded in last year when I picked up the 08 - quite honestly maybe 1/8 qt between oil changes of 4k, if that - the rest of the car was falling apart around the engine. My situation is that I bought the o8 last Dec full of oil - parked it in my back yard till April - ran it 500 miles or so and bang - down a quart - filled it up - then did an oil change after say another 500 miles - within 1000 miles after the oil change - bang again down a quart - so 500 miles later I take it to Honda - for the engine oil consumption test - they check it and say its down 2 qts down - anywho am about 600 miles through the engine oil consumption test started 3 weeks ago and oil level is not really down - just wondering if there are any driving conditions that make things worse? - trying to understand things here - thanks in advance Fred

Old 10-01-2015, 11:28 AM

Thanks for the reply. Our 2008 4runner is nowhere close to this. I did not even have to add any oil between oil change.

This is to the point of ridiculous. I am going to try different dealer. The dealer that I bought the car from is just plain ridiculous. The 8th gen accord has this burning oil issue, than the VTC actuator issue, and the brake issue, all of which are design flaw I believe.

Does your car rattle for a couple of seconds in the morning when you started it? That would be VTC actuator issue. This issue may or may not be related to the burning oil, but I tend to believe that somewhat that this could very well be related.

I will update this if I have new news.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:42 PM

I also received the warranty extension for my 2008 Accord EX. Because my car has 9000 miles over the 125000 they allow, Honda will not help in any way. Will have to pay $3,900 to get it fixed. Thanks Honda. Obviously this is a known problem and is of no fault of the owners so i don't understand why they won't at least help. Very disappointed and I won't be buying any more Hondas.

Quick Reply: Honda Accord Warranty Extension: Piston Rings Sticking- advice needed