General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 08:09 PM
Default Honda Hybrid?

Any Hybrid owners here? Is it worth the purchase?

Old 05-13-2008, 08:43 PM
Default RE: Honda Hybrid?

I do not own one but i work on them from time to time, they dont have any problems Except the fact for a hybrid they dont get as good as gas mileage, Pretty much the same as the regular v6 a touch better city mpg, faster than a regular v6auto due to the extra HP. overall good cars, suggest getting something other than fix a flat which it comes with for a spare(no spare tire at all just a bottle of honda brand fix a flat) stupidest thing ever!

Old 05-13-2008, 09:24 PM

So Hybrid is not worth buying?

Old 05-14-2008, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

Why do you want a hybrid?

Most hybrids seem to be aimed at giving you better fuel economy, like Prius or Civic. OTOH, the Accord hybrid seems to be aimed at giving you more power.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:00 AM

I am going to step on my soap-box for just a moment.....

No way....NO WAY, would I ever purchase a hybrid.

In a world of political correctness, here we have a great example of itit on 4 wheels.....

As poff1986 stated earlier, the hybrids are not that much more efficient!!!!

At our shop, Accurate Automotive, we have already had a Honda Insight come in with 150,000 miles on it needing a battery...THE BATTERY. That battery has to be replaced with two controllers and a special tool is needed forinstallation. The estimate for parts and labor was nearly $4000. That's right!!! Even with gas at $4.00 per gallon, a hybrid will not reduce fuel consumption by 1000 gallons in 150,000 miles

That car owner declined the repair and said he would just run on the gas engine, which you can do but because of the supplimental power the battery contributes, his Honda Insight had NO POWER. I am sure in the same scenario, the V6 Accord Hybrid would be the same.

Plus you have to use the 0W20 Motor Oil making a standard oil change 50% to 65% higher in cost.

In closing, my prediction would be that gasoline will be the primary fuel in our lives. Even though we are currently getting hosed with high gas prices across America, Gasoline is simply too easy and cheap to produce. One day, either the tree-huggers will claim the global warming garbage is coming from cars orthe American public will finally have enough with high gas prices, and we will move foward with hydrogen being used in a internal combustion engine. However at this point, synthetic hydrogen is far more expensive to produce than gasoline.

Ed Brian
Accurate Automotive, Inc.
www.accuratecars.com

Old 05-14-2008, 10:10 PM

I had an Insight for 5 years and it did just what it was suppose to do. I finally traded it in for my Accord because after 5 years and 111,000 miles I was ready for some comfort on my long drive each day.

I get 1/2 the mileage in the Accord, but it is 4 times as comfortable.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:01 PM

also i am pretty sure the civic and insight run on 0w20 the accord v6 hybrid runs on 5w20, And we have seen a few inour shop as well needing an ima battery. and approx 4k to replace...

Old 05-15-2008, 08:25 AM

When you consider the fact that someone that is buying a hybrid technology vehicleis buying a car that has a very short track history in regard to performance and reliability.

And again, when you factor in that you may have to replace THE BATTERY at around that $4,000 mark, what have you accomplished?

If you are trying to save money by not burning as much gasoline, you will spend whatever gas money thatyou would have saved on THE BATTERY replacement between 100,000 and 150,000 miles.

If you drive one for the enviroment, have you ever heard about the fallout from smelting the nickle that goes into those batteries in production? It is a whole lot worse than burning gasoline.

Finally, hybrids are truely an experimental car. My prediction is that in 10 years, we will remember the word hybrid car, the same as we remember the term Y2K. The term Y2K a decade ago,was a lot of hype over nothing and so is the gas / electric hybrid vehicle. They are truely a fad.

Ed Brian
Accurate Automotive, Inc
www.accuratecars.com

Old 05-15-2008, 11:59 AM

ORIGINAL: poff1986

also i am pretty sure the civic and insight run on 0w20 the accord v6 hybrid runs on 5w20
Yes, the Insight runs on 0W20, but you can run 5W20 if you can not find 0W20.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:24 PM

"F" all this... I want an Insight !!! Willing to trade if anybody has one :-)
OH, and I thought All Insights have a 150k factory warranty on the battery...?

Quick Reply: Honda Hybrid?