General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda Mechanic Referral needed in LA, CA - 1994 Accord EX

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 08:16 PM
Default Honda Mechanic Referral needed in LA, CA - 1994 Accord EX

Hey Honda Accord friends, I’ve been on & off of this forum for years. I learned a lot and have forgotten a lot as well. This is my first post, as I have a 1994 Accord EX 2-dr, 5-speed, 360,000 miles, & need a referral for a Honda mechanic in the LA area for Engine, Suspension & body paint/repair work. I ran over a pole or bumper on the pitch black freeway, & it pulls to the left. I have Lifetime Alignment & rotate & balance at Discount Tires. I’ve been underneath the rack when they align it, & see I broke a motor mount directly underneath, & can’t tell if the tie rods are broken or bent, & the CV joints need repair. They suggested I replace the inner & outer tie rods, as well as the whole struts. Is there anything else I may have bent/damaged? Also, what’s the general consensus on adjustable coilovers, & more sport suspension features? Lastly, I was going to do some additional engine bolt-on features to increase HP & more MPG, such as cold air intake, wires, filters, spark plugs, etc. I was into this earlier in the decade, but I was driving 100 mi/day, & it already have 200,000 miles on it. These run forever, & I like it for everyday around city driving. Is it worth it now, is it still hip to do it? If it’s worth doing, which manufacturers for suspension parts do you guys like? I read Suspension FAQ 2.0 on the forum here, just no recommendations. What engine parts & websites are the way to go now? I used to hit NOPI back in the day. This car runs forever, only replaced the clutch at 300,000 & brake pads, everything else is stock & original. Look forward to any helpful referral(s) & input. Thanks

Old 03-19-2011, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

This car runs forever, only replaced the clutch at 300,000 & brake pads, everything else is stock & original.
I think that sentence sums it up. The OEM parts last much longer compared to aftermarket parts.

It is up to you on upgrading components. A CAI will gain you some HP, but run into one large puddle and your engine could be toast. Will an aftermarket spring/shock last for 300K? What kind of driving do you do?

Keeping up with the routine maintenance will help keep the engine running smoothly. Use the NGK plugs recommended in owners manual. The NGK, Denso, or Honda wires. Distributor cap and rotor from Honda dealership. I would clean the EGR ports. Lubricate the caliper pins with caliper grease, so the brake pads release when you let off the brake.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:26 PM
Default Aftermarket spring/shock - Honda Mechanic Referral needed in LA, CA - 1994 Accord EX

"Will an aftermarket spring/shock last for 300K? What kind of driving do you do?"... I just do regular driving around LA, the streets are tight with lights, stops/starts, potholes, I have these 17" rims on, so I"m careful about trhing not to hit any, although, it's tough out there.