General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Honda No More Timing Belts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 09:42 PM
Default Honda No More Timing Belts?

I was in the Honda showroom yesterday and the sales dude told me that at least since 2012 Honda is using lifetime timing belts. The replacement of these belts is not required or recommended.

Does anyone know the first year this new timing belt policy came into being?

Old 10-12-2013, 09:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I was also in a Honda showroom back in 2009 to buy a Fit Sport, and the salesperson told me Honda has a lifetime powertrain warrenty on this car. I remember him saying if I blew the motor, Honda would put a new one in for me. Probably some sales lie to get me buy their cars.

Of course the Fit has a 1.5L with a timing chain. I read the owner's manual and warrenty book that was in the glovebox and it said nothing about a lifetime warrenty on the powertrain, just the usual 3 years or 36k miles and only under strict conditions like only covering manufacter's defects on parts and that kind of thing. They did however mention in the book the fact that you can request a goodwill repair at the dealer.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies

As far as the timing belt is concerned, the 2012 Accord FSM says to replace the timing belt every 110,000 miles along with inspecting the water pump. Replacing the timing belt at this mileage is also a service warrenty requirment.

The salesperson will say almost anything just to get you to buy a car. I'd take that salesperson over the service desk and ask service if the belts are indeed lifetime or not. Then again as far as Honda is concerned, the ideal lifetime of the vehicle is over when the warrenty runs out.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:17 PM

I was looking at a 2012 Accord when I asked him if it had a timing belt. He was quick to reply and imply Honda timing belts are now lifetime and that Honda recommends the timing belt never be changed.

After a little research online it looks like the 4cyl Accords have been using a timing chain since at least 2006.

Last edited by docfletch; 10-12-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ah yes, the timing chains are lifetime and don't need replacing, that would fit the description much better than a belt. Not sure if that's what he meant. Most salespeople often get facts and information confused with other vehicles. They are trained on the new features and some specs of new vehicles coming in and that's all they know and what they just repeat to the customers so they can answer all questions quickly.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

As I understand it, Honda switched to a timing CHAIN for the 4-Cylinder motors back in 2003; timing chains should be good for the life of the vehicle. Then the discussion needs to switch to the V6 motors; as I understand it, the V6s still have a timing BELT which needs replacing every 105,000-110,000 miles (depending upon model year).

If a sales geek says there is a lifetime timing belt in a V6 model, ask him to put it in writing and then ask the sales manager to sign the document. If said geek says the engine is warranted for the life of the vehicle, do the same thing, get it in writing.

My prediction; if the idiot is dumb enough to put it in writing, the sales manager won't sign.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

On the lifetime powertrain warranty, yes it is legit, if you follow their guidelines.

Of course their guidelines include having every recommend service done, as well as having every service done at the dealership including oil changes and tire changes. You would buy the engine 20 times over getting all those services done at the dealer compared to indie shops.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

That's an extra-cost extended warranty? If so, that explains why it doesn't say that in the actual warranty booklet.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

I don't think it's any extra cost, you just have to follow the guidelines from day 1. Been a few years since I looked into it though.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:32 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Some dealers give a lifetime engine warranty, I got one included for no extra charge when I bought my used Chrysler T&C, with 30,000 miles. 100$ deductible.

Quick Reply: Honda No More Timing Belts?