General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda power steering fluid? For reals?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 06:53 PM
Default Honda power steering fluid? For reals?

So I was putting power steering fluid in the fluid reservoir of my 98 Accord LX when I noticed the little block of copy that says something like "For the love of all that is good and wholesome, ONLY use Honda power steering fluid in here."

Ordinarily I wouldn't give this sort of thing a second thought. Hydraulic fluid is hydraulic fluid, yes? But the other day someone asked me whether I used Honda transmission fluid, so now I'm paranoid. Does this stuff have special Honda pixie powder in it or what, exactly?

Old 03-14-2013, 07:27 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Yes, pixie dust, but Honda doesn't have an exclusive on it. I've had good luck with PS fluid from the auto parts stores labeled "Honda Power Steering Fluid." There are several out there - Autozone's brand is Coastal - and they're a little bit cheaper than buying Honda OEM fluid at the dealer.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:31 PM

Having worked in the service dept of a Honda dealership for over 10 years I can tell you there is a difference. The viscosity and additives are unique to this OEM fluid. I have also seen countless P/S pump seal failures as a result of using non-OEM "spec" fluid. It's cheap insurance to use Honda P/S fluid and transmission fluid.

Hydraulic fluid comes in all different flavors and recipes, just like beer.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

I'm with the "pixie" dust in PS and auto trans fluid for these.

As roader stated, I've used valvoline fluid for Honda/Acura (HPS12) cars for years. Have personal experience with one of my Honda's where when I bought it the owner told me he had the ps pump replaced because it was leaking and after that it hard "hard" steering. I bought the car, flushed the ps with honda/acura approved fluid and the steering is fine now . Still have the car today.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Napa has a MasterPro brand of Honda compatible fluid that I have used w/o problems. It was only about $5/qt. PS systems tend to leak w/ age, so not surprising that some have had leaks w/ something other than Honda PS fluid. Still never hurts to be careful

good luck

Old 03-14-2013, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Several brands out there that say "FOR HONDA/ACURA".

Don't use the stuff that says "for all makes/models".

Old 03-14-2013, 08:39 PM

Ok, I can buy that. But we're talking about the long-term health of the system, yes? Like, if you put Bobs' Power Steering Juice in one afternoon, it wouldn't mean a steering rack leak two days later, yeah?

'Cause that's what I'm looking at.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:25 AM

Two days later? Not very likely. Again why gamble? I mean what are talking about here, maybe $2 a bottle difference?

Old 03-15-2013, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Was it a large amount? Or just an ounce or 2 to top off the level?

Small amount shouldn't cause problems so quickly.

Large amount (like drain & fill) might cause rubber seals to shrink & leak. Two days doesn't seem unreasonable for that to happen.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:01 PM

Just noticed today that Autozone sells Autozone labeled Honda spec P/S fluid for around $4 a bottle.

Quick Reply: Honda power steering fluid? For reals?