General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood Propup rod attachment for 3rd gen?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 06:35 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Hood Propup rod attachment for 3rd gen?

I know this sounds silly but what do you guys call the rod that holds the hood up. I call it a propup rod. Anyway, the end that is supposed to be permanently attached to the core support has come loose and what ever hardware was used is MIA. the clip that was snapped into on the passenger side has also broke off. I have been to the local pick-n-pull trying to find the drivers side hardware but no luck.

Are these parts available or am i hunting salvage yards only? I have been sticking the "question mark" shaped end back into its hole on the drivers side and just laying it in there. I'm concerned its going to end up in the wrong place and tear up pullies or worse. Other than throwing the rod away and procuring a broom stick, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

been there. Go to the dealer and you can get both "bushings"......for a hint, the drivers side has a "split" in it, put it on the rod, then position the rod and that in place and push the bushing into the body....you'll know what I mean when you have the new one(s).

EDIT: Then for the pass side, the new one "twists" in.....about 90* (wait, 180*) down, then move clockwise (as if you were looking from the windshield) and it will "snap" right in......

Last edited by poorman212; 12-27-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:16 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks poorman. I did as you suggested and went to the dealer. I met a nice parts guy at Clear Lake Honda that hooked me up with a good discount. Both parts for about $5.80 with tax. It took one day to come in. When i picked them up today, I also got a coolant reservior cap (goes on between battery and core support). He sold that to me for $5.94 with tax. He has a 98 Del sol with a turbo'd engine.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

Cool....you may need him, the 3rd gen's are getting fewer and fewer so getting parts for them can be a task....don't know why, two months ago I had four in the driveway, still have three today.