General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How bad is....

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 02:41 AM
Almost A Senior Member
Default How bad is....

A rear main seal leak. The car has one and got quoted 495 to have it fixed. It also has some other leaks on some of the other seals and I was quoted 695 for him to change out the seals that are leaking and some other ones, change the timing belt and water pump, and he was going to do something else but I forgot... Do these prices sound good?

Old 06-05-2012, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Depends on which seal is meant by "rear main". There is a seal on timing belt end of crankshaft and seal on transmission end of crankshaft.

I would suggest cleaning and inspecting carefully to detect leak location. It is easy to mistake source of oil leak and there are a number of potential sources that are much easier to repair than "rear main", whichever end it's on.

A very common leak is the rear balance shaft cover seal under the timing belt cover. This leaks out bottom of timing belt cover which is same location as crankshaft seal. Both repairs require access under the timiing belt cover, not terrible but several hrs labor. This repair is more likely in the range you were quoted.

The main seal on the transmission end of engine requries transmission removal to access and is a much larger repair.

good luck

Old 06-05-2012, 01:58 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Depends on which seal is meant by "rear main". There is a seal on timing belt end of crankshaft and seal on transmission end of crankshaft.

I would suggest cleaning and inspecting carefully to detect leak location. It is easy to mistake source of oil leak and there are a number of potential sources that are much easier to repair than "rear main", whichever end it's on.

A very common leak is the rear balance shaft cover seal under the timing belt cover. This leaks out bottom of timing belt cover which is same location as crankshaft seal. Both repairs require access under the timiing belt cover, not terrible but several hrs labor. This repair is more likely in the range you were quoted.

The main seal on the transmission end of engine requries transmission removal to access and is a much larger repair.

good luck
He said its the one that requires the transmission to be removed. He is a certified honda mechanic. Was just checking to see if these were good prices. He also said that the cv axle on the left side needed to be replaced. Hes charging 250 for that but I saw a video on it and it didnt seem that hard to do.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

To me, again most things I do myself...those are good quotes. Now to add 250 for the cv shaft, I might question that....if they are ,pulling the trans, well 95% of the work to replace the shaft is already being done to replace the rear main...so adding the cost of the shaft, to the bill ok....but no added labor....just me but I understand shops have to stay in business.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:26 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by poorman212
To me, again most things I do myself...those are good quotes. Now to add 250 for the cv shaft, I might question that....if they are ,pulling the trans, well 95% of the work to replace the shaft is already being done to replace the rear main...so adding the cost of the shaft, to the bill ok....but no added labor....just me but I understand shops have to stay in business.
I see where your coming from with that. Im not doing the rear main seal fix yet. He said it wasnt leaking that bad. First job im having him do is to replace all the seals and what not and replace the timing belt and water pump. He said oil was leaking on the timing belt and should get that one fixed asap.